Forum home The potting shed

The Vine Weevil hunt 2021

K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
Found my first adult on a rose tonight.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,609
    Hopefully it's still too cold here. I found one in the house a few weeks ago though. No idea where it came from but I know where it went...
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • TheRicksterTheRickster Posts: 84
    4 last night, 3 on red currant leaves, the other on a daphne pot. Warming up now for the nematodes, hopefully it’s not to late to treat the pots.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,485
    We have given up the battle.  If they kill something, we don't grow it again.  We never found the nematodes worked, and we long stopped using Provado, too nasty.  

They only plants that I do check once or twice a year are our Aeonium's, which are all in pots.  They are too precious to lose.  I found larvae in 50% of them recently.  I removed all of the larvae from the compost, and repotted.

If you look at the bigger picture of what is happening in our gardens, there are more and more new pests (from Box tree caterpillar, to Agapanthus gall midge).  I find that if you are fighting each of these pests, with whatever method, that it takes away a lot of the pleasure of gardening, and uses up a lot of time.    
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    @KeenOnGreen I do agree to some extent, I dont use chemicals and you can't buy anything now that works on the adults.
    This is my 7th garden and its the first time I've had a problem with them.
    I've given up with heucheras which I love as do the weevils.
    It's also my smallest garden and it's easy to hunt them at night catching over 200 last year.
    I have the time to do this and I'm almost ashamed to admit I do get a lot of pleasure out of it!
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,485
    Have no shame @K67   It’s the same joy I get from finding and squishing red Lily beetles!
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 668
    Last night I caught my first ones for this year, Lilly beetles started a couple of weeks ago. My new annoyance are certain caterpillars who seem to have developed a taste for rose buds....only have one climber and I picked three off yesterday and have lost at least 10 buds which are munched!
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,609
    No sign of any weevils outside yet. Anyone else seeing any?
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 162
    Not yet.  But already squashed half a dozen lily beetles and a bunch of their eggs in the last week.
  • Hop alongHop along Posts: 23
    I found a lot of vine weevil grubs in my strawberry pots when I was re potting, and a lot in my big tubs. I bought nematodes for the first time and applied in April, so far so good.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,909
    edited 4 June
    I have used nematodes in pots and they worked, need to do it twice a year, Spring and autumn, too expensive to use on the garden though,  they only thing they completely destroyed in the garden we Aquilegias ,  tops just come of off in my hand. 
    Lily beetles in full force now, best thing is to look under the leaves and remove the eggs
    agree with @Hop along . They love strawberry plants. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.