Forum home Problem solving

Hydrangea buds / leaves shrivelled

Hello everyone. I am desperately trying to grow five hydrangeas. All (to varying degrees) had developed buds up to this point (April) and some were showing healthy signs of leaves. Now i have noticed that despite watering, any buds and leaves have dried up / gone from green to a dark purple. (They just resemble sticks basically!). I know they have flowered as either had them in previous garden or bought in full glory from a garden centre. They have shade and sun in equal parts. They are also in different parts of the garden. Everything else grows except these (and a ceonthus i cant seem to get going either). I am in Wiltshire, uk. 

Please tell me my garden isnt the death knell for hydrangeas :(

• PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 496
    Hi - they've almost certainly been caught by the overnight frosts we've had recently. Loads of comments on the forum with people experiencing this - the new young growth is very vulnerable. I think all you can do is keep watering and feeding, and fingers crossed they will come back. Ceonothus are also a bit frost sensitive.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 5
    Thanks PP - at least its not all my doing! I will have a look on the threads now i know. Probably need to get some feed too = i'm a novice but i'm determined to have these beautiful bushes, especially knowing I CAN grow them!  Wonder if people put the bags over them overnight?
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 496
    You can be sophisticated and get some proper garden fleece :) , but I just used old towels and empty compost bags... Hopefully the frosts are over now, but worth keeping an eye on the forecast...
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,346
    Mine has still got the old flower heads on, l can't bring myself to risk it 😳. Another smaller one has lost all it's old heads over Winter and looks a bit sorry for itself, but l think as soon as the weather warms up (and stays that way), it should recover. I think l might prune them next week 🤞.
    I have fleece on standby. 
    I feed mine with seaweed feed, as recommended by my MIL. Not a woman to argue with 😁.

seaweed.... i never knew!
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,669
    One of mine is also not looking very healthy

Not seen them suffer like this before so I’m also thinking the late Frost’s are to blame.
    This is the stuff @Westy2.
    https://www.doff.co.uk/product/liquid-seaweed/
    Usual disclaimers apply, no link to the company, other products available. 
    @AnniD - have you had much success using the seaweed supplement?
    @Westy2 yes, it seems to work well, and my MIL's hydrangeas are pretty impressive  :)
  • luis_prluis_pr Hurst, Texas Zone 8aPosts: 121
    JoeX, I would check the following things: soil should be acidic so amend it to acidify if it is not; inconsistent watering can result in stems with no or dried out leaves & new smaller leaves so, check often and water as soon as the soil feels dry or almost dry (aim for an evenly moist soil with no periods of dry/wet/dry/wet/etc.); re-check your watering regime if the weather changes significantly; make sure they only get morning sun (or dappled sun) only... afternoon/evening shade; maintain year around mulch 5-10 cm to help conserve moisture, protect roots from cold/hot temp and provide some nutrients as the mulch decomposes.