Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Planting in threes

LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698
To integrate three Thalictrum Black Stockings into my planting, I'm considering three options - spread out so they draw the eye around,  or in groups of three to the left (part shade) or right (sun) for more solid clumps. Im erring towards the first option but what do you think? (The option one spacing allows for other plants which are already in place).

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    Thalictrum grow into quite substantial plants. I think in a garden that size planting them singly will be fine .,, a group of three could be the size of a large shrub in a couple of years. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• NollieNollie Posts: 7,529
    I mostly plant in threes or even fives, but have gone a bit dotty this year, especially with taller plants which can look a little dominant in a group. I also like the occasional tall plant near the front to add a bit of dynamism to the traditional small at the front etc. For those reasons I say go dotty and choose option one!

Looks a lovely plant btw.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • I prefer option 1
  • FireFire Posts: 19,092
    I've gone for a group of three thals this year.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    I planted a group of 3 thalictrum delavayii years ago in my Belgian garden and they grew 2 or 3 times taller than expected (mislabelled?) and very imposing so, as your borders are narrower, I would go for the option of separating and having a rhythm of thalictrum down the garden.

This is mine in the second year

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491
    Hells bells Obelixx, that's a monster! Mine aren't that big - at least, not yet.

I'd go for option 1 as well.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698
    edited April 2021
    That looks like Thalictrum 'Elin', Obelixx. Yes it's a monster. I had one once, eventually gave it to my sister. I did also have some T. delavayi but also offloaded those. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    It might just be some juju I have @Loxley tho, like you, I decided it was probably Elin.

I've planted one here - aquilegifolia this time - and it's done the same thing, growing very tall but I love it anyway.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • FireFire Posts: 19,092
    "I did also have some T. delavayi but also offloaded those.  "

Can I ask how they were for you @Loxley ?
    I am just putting in three now for the first time. They have been on my wish list for years.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698
    They were very good. I grew them from seed! The only problem with them was they tend to get pushed over by the wind, plant them where they can 'lean' on other plants if you can.