Forum home Problem solving

Growing Gaura 'the Bride' from seed

I'm on my second attempt at sowing some gaura seeds and they take so long and are very sporadic to germinate.  Also both times, I've noticed that the first seed germinated and then about 5 days later began to sprout another set of leaves right from the base. I asked advice on another page and people said it looked like the seeds had been disturbed and just grew next to each other but I know I very carefully sowed them and haven't disturbed them.  I could imagine it being a reasonable explanation first time round but not to happen twice.  I'm just really baffled as I've grown all sorts from seed and never seen this happen before.  So, anyone come across this themselves? And if anyone has advice for growing Gaura it would be much appreciated as the small seedlings that I'm growing on don't look very happy at all in my unheated greenhouse.  I've attached a picture of the twin seedling in case anyone is interested! 😊

• This is a photo of my cat but in the orange pot at the front if you can zoom in you'll see a gaura seedling which looks a bit sickly.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,485
    Well according to this website it's easy to grow from seed!
    No sorry it says very easy!
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,561
    I germinate them in a heated propagator without trouble but they always die over winter!
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,659
    I had no problem with The Bride.
    I sowed seed in early March in a heated propagator and had lots of substantial plants in flower by June. I was surprised how quickly they grew.
    Maybe yours needed a little more warmth to germinate
    Mine are just coming up in the garden

I left one in a 2L pot to plant out later, but forgot-

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,653
    I have grown Gaura from seed and l think that your seedling looks about the same as mine did. They were so spindly looking l thought they had no chance, then suddenly they took off and made good plants. I did "succession sowing" which was partly due to me thinking that the first lot had failed, and it was interesting to see the different rates and stages.
    Can l just say that your cat appears to be taking the credit for growing everything 🙂🐱.
  • AnniD said:
    I have grown Gaura from seed and l think that your seedling looks about the same as mine did. They were so spindly looking l thought they had no chance, then suddenly they took off and made good plants. I did "succession sowing" which was partly due to me thinking that the first lot had failed, and it was interesting to see the different rates and stages.
    Can l just say that your cat appears to be taking the credit for growing everything 🙂🐱.
    Ha ha yes like most cats she believes everything belongs to her in some way and she just does what she likes!! 🤣

Good to know thanks. It sounds like we have had a similar experience, I'll keep my fingers crossed.  
  • Pete.8 said:
    I had no problem with The Bride.
    I sowed seed in early March in a heated propagator and had lots of substantial plants in flower by June. I was surprised how quickly they grew.
    Maybe yours needed a little more warmth to germinate
    Mine are just coming up in the garden

I left one in a 2L pot to plant out later, but forgot-

This looks beautiful! I really hope mine turn out like this.  I did put them on heat but then tool them off again so might try that again, thanks!
  • Posy said:
    I germinate them in a heated propagator without trouble but they always die over winter!
    Heat sounds like the way forward then, thanks.  Sorry yours die over winter, I wonder why? 
  • K67 said:
    Well according to this website it's easy to grow from seed!
    No sorry it says very easy!
    🤣🤣 Not for me apparently!!

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,561
    Wet soil. They hate clay.