Forum home Plants

Help needed please with laurel hedge issues...

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,423
    This was ours one year after planting.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,423
    @Thenewgardener This is exactly 3 years after planting.  It’s now kept at 6’ tall and 5’ wide. Don’t be afraid to cut them back, they’ll reward you for it.
    I would take the stakes away though, let them grow free. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• @Lyn these look great! Thanks for the advice. Is now a good time to cut them down? I am thinking of getting out there this weekend (weather permitting)
  • @Thenewgardener No, it's too soon to cut them back. You need to wait until spring, otherwise the winter frosts will burn any new growth.
  • willow321willow321 Posts: 9
    edited 28 February
    The leaves on our laurel hedge have holes on them from being eaten and have brown patches. If we were to cut down to e.g. 3 feet, would the affected leaves below that point somehow recover e.g. fill in their holes and go fully green again (he says hopefully)? Or is that nonsense? Our hedge is 8 foot tall and looked brill until last year when suddenly got attacked by something.
  • Hi all,

I was directed here from a discussion I started. 

I have read every page & what a great read seeing results.

I have purchased some laurel Hedging from a local farmer on Facebook. I had 28 plants ranging from 3ft & above & were dug up around his farm. I have planted these in some manure & premium compost, also added some shredded wood chippings for mulch as I had to get rid of a lot of brambles post planting.
    .Some are long & leggy with only leaves at the top. Others have few leaves all the way up the stem. They have been in a week with me.

Now seeing all the posts I know I need to cut then back so have few questions.....

1. Where should I cut down to? Especially the ones that are just mostly bare wood with only leaves at top. Will these shoot?

2. Can I cut these now or is it a risk with chances of frost? I'm bit nervous of the frost but also nervous of the two days of high wind & rain coming tomorrow

3. Have I planted them too close to the tree in middle ?

Thank you in advance, really feel like I'm in the right place after a week of panic 

• DitsyDitsy LondonPosts: 167
    What a brilliant thread. It is so nice that people have kept up the pictures and progress of their hedges. I too came across it while researching what to do with my juvenile hedge. 

I now actually have hedge regret and realise I have planted something that is far too big for my space! So I am here in hope of getting advice on keeping it slim trim but bushy when it gets going.

So here it is planted a week ago. I am planning on moving them away from the path a little, will that be ok to dig them up so soon after planting?

I look forward to sharing the progress. :)
  • mikeessexmikeessex Posts: 10
    Afternoon all, when laurels begin to show flowering it best to cut this off to encourage growth or let them do their thing? Thank you in advance!
  • Hi all, is it ok to cut my laurels above hard now? Or should I wait for the danger of frost to pass
  • parobparob Posts: 5
    How long would it take to grow a laurel hedge 4 meters high (is it possible). This is near where I live.