Forum home The potting shed

What tree are these seeds from? (Pic)

I have been trying to identify these tree seeds from my tree app.

Thus far, the app has only been able to narrow it down to seven possibilities. They are as follows:

Birch-downy
Birch-Silver
Elm English
Elm Huntington
Elm Smooth leaved
Elm wych
Elm Hornbeam

I can take a photo of the bark on my next visit to the area.

Thank you.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,537
    edited 23 February
    That’s an ash twig with ash ‘keys’. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,418
    I agree with Dove and have thousands of them hanging over my garden right now. :s
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • It is a good job that the app is not a paid for app.

You are very fast Dove.✋
  • I certainly understand what what you are saying about seed quantity Bob. There must be a few hundred seeds in just those 2 twigs. I wonder if it's anything to do with a difficulty in germination?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,537
    Huh!  No difficulty in germination of ash seeds in my looooong experience of living amongst ash trees 😂
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,418
    I don't think it's a seed viability thing, Ash is more like a weed than a tree in that respect (in fact, some call it a weed species.) :D
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 650
    I'm yet to meet a professional gardener who likes them, but Hopkins and I find them rather bonny!

Inversnaid 

Gerard Manley Hopkins

This darksome burn, horseback brown,

His rollrock highroad roaring down,
    In coop and in comb the fleece of his foam
    Flutes and low to the lake falls home. 

A windpuff-bonnet of fáwn-fróth
    Turns and twindles over the broth
    Of a pool so pitchblack, féll-frówning,
    It rounds and rounds Despair to drowning. 

Degged with dew, dappled with dew
    Are the groins of the braes that the brook treads through,
    Wiry heathpacks, flitches of fern,
    And the beadbonny ash that sits over the burn.

What would the world be, once bereft
    Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
    O let them be left, wildness and wet;
    Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

• Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 557
    I think it's the "beads" Hopkins finds "bonny", not the "keys", Helen!

I, too, have a very soft spot for Hopkins; whenever I feel despair, for any reason, I run to his Terrible Sonnets.
  • Shared sadness is half the sadness, Artemis.  We all feel despair at times, for, I think, all our minds have mountains that torment us ; but, as long as we can be, eventually, to ourselves kind again, all is not lost...
  • Couple of interesting points cropped above - the App is obviously next to useless if it's confusing Ash keys with the tiny tissue paper and a bran speck seeds of the Silver Birch.

As for vitality or fecundity of the seeds - a huge proportion will fail to germinate. 

On the evolutionary aspects, the first thing that must be born in mind is that no plant has ever had the chance to sit down in development planning meeting! Every facet of its appearance, growth and reproduction is the result of gradual mutations of its DNA and every lifeform is rather stuck with its ancestoral heritage. If plants (or anything biological) had a completely freehand - it could and probably would come up with radical changes the likes of sticking jet engines on aircraft instead of the whirly things as my wife calls them. Some plants put all their energy into very few seeds, say like cocconuts whereas others make millions and it's rather mystifying why examples of both types often occur in the same families. 
    Another thing worth considering in the case of trees is the fact that while their genes might seem want to perpetuate themselves (to us ) - the parent doesn't want their children too close. Hence the propeller action of ash keys and sycamore helicopters, whereas many other trees have symbiotic relations with animals such as squirrels and jays burying acorns.
    Though plants can be described as weedy ( Monty's tomatoes come to mind) No plant is intrinsically "a weed"  even couch grass and stinging nettles are just wild species, we must not allow ourselves to be swayed because they're a nuisance.