Forum home Plants

Transplanting tulips

kwadskwads Posts: 11
I have a very condensed patch of very old tulips.  I don't know how long they have been in the ground, but still flower beautifully.  The only problem is they are too cramped and I've like to split and move them.  Can I do that, as they have just started to sprout?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,446
    I think normally you would move them after they've flowered and the foliage had died down. Do you know which variety they are ? By the sounds of it they are a species type ?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,116
    I would wait until after they’ve bloomed and the foliage is beginning to die down. 
    If they’ve started to sprout leaves that indicates that the bulbs have made quite a lot of root growth already and you don’t want to damage the roots. 

Give them a good feed after flowering and move them when the leaves begin to turn brown. 

😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• kwadskwads Posts: 11
    I don't, they were here when I moved in.
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,943
    Leave them until they start to die down as advised.  When they flower,  take a photo and post it on here .... someone may be able to identify them for you.