Forum home Problem solving

Concrete flags on driveway problem

KrisboKrisbo Lancashire Posts: 7
Hi all, 

Wonder if you could help with a problem? I have some concrete paving flags on my drive way, which are designed for the car to run over. One of the paving flags seems to have moved by about an inch and a half out of line. 

It seems to have been moving a little bit of the last few years but sure enough due to the recent snow and ice and general bad weather (I think), the concrete flags has moved a lot faster creating a potentially dangerous and unsightly small gap. Its about an inch and a half across now. The photos give a better idea. 

I've tried to pick the flag up so that I could move it back and re-lay it and I cant seem to shift it (Ive tried a couple of times but its not for moving). Does anyone have any ideas or a low cost way of solving the problem? I have plenty of small decorative garden stones, shall I just fill the hole with them or is sand or a mixture a better option? I'm trying to avoid getting a firm in to do it as the rest of the concrete flags are fine.

Any help appreciated 
Kris 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,858
    Hello @Krisbo,
    If you can rake out the gravel to the side of the gap to make an oval shaped hole, you should then be able to carefully hit the slab back again with a hammer using a small piece of wood held against the slab to protect it or better still a wooden mallet.
    If this doesn't work, I would just fill in the gap with gravel. 
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,420
    Was going to suggest as Lizzie said, also you could try and push it by levering a crowbar against it. Try not to pop it out, you'll struggle to get it back in I reckon. Then haunch it with concrete to try and stop it moving again before replacing the gravel.
  • send_to_alansend_to_alan LondonPosts: 21
    Krisbo said:
    Hi all, 

Wonder if you could help with a problem? I have some concrete paving flags on my drive way, which are designed for the car to run over. One of the paving flags seems to have moved by about an inch and a half out of line. 

It seems to have been moving a little bit of the last few years but sure enough due to the recent snow and ice and general bad weather (I think), the concrete flags has moved a lot faster creating a potentially dangerous and unsightly small gap. Its about an inch and a half across now. The photos give a better idea. 

I've tried to pick the flag up so that I could move it back and re-lay it and I cant seem to shift it (Ive tried a couple of times but its not for moving). Does anyone have any ideas or a low cost way of solving the problem? I have plenty of small decorative garden stones, shall I just fill the hole with them or is sand or a mixture a better option? I'm trying to avoid getting a firm in to do it as the rest of the concrete flags are fine.

Any help appreciated 
    Kris 
    Whatever you do watch your fingers, someone I knew lost his finger past the first joint laying it back.

I don’t know the size of this paver but most car carrying ones weigh 30 to 40kg, so I am guessing you aren’t strong.

you should wear steel toe cap boots and gloves, use a roughneck crowbar set to lift it, remove any stones etc trapped and seat it back. Then haunch it in with concrete.

alternatively pay someone to do it - I would 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 4,506
    I don't realistically imagine you would get someone to come round and re-lay one slab.  After seeing what went on UNDER our drives, am suspecting this has something to do with the sublayers, and follow Alan's advice
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,876
    Lizzie's suggestion would seem to be the best solution.  A piece of timber and a lump hammer should move it.
  • KiliKili Posts: 537
    As said just lay a piece of wood along the edge and tap it with a hammer to put it back in place.
    You can also just drive a wooden wedge (steel rod would be better) in along the edge you tapped to hold it in place.

It doesn't look from the picture that they were concreted/cemented in just laid on the surface. If they were it was probably the old dot and dab method which moves over time anyway.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'