Forum home Fruit & veg

Greenhouse or no greenhouse?

I have a little experience of growing vegetables but no expert. This year I would love to grow tomatoes, peppers etc but I live on the west coast of Wales and we don't get an awful lot of sun or heat.

Would it be worth my while investing in a greenhouse and growing such like inside it all summer through?

Also, would a plastic type suffice or would a glass one be better? My plot does get quite a bit of wind so I'm guessing the plastic type might not be suitable for that reason, but apart from that, does glass actually make stuff grow better/quicker?

Any suggestions please?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,585
    I loved my greenhouse, but I've just moved house and don't have one anymore.  I sowed seeds, flowers and veg, and grew on half hardy annuals as well as growing tomatoes. I thought the garden tomatoes were probably tastier but they got blight if it was cold and wet and the GH ones didn't. The ones in the GH fruited earlier and bore fruit for longer.

Mind was polycarbonate and one of the panels did blow out when there was a lot of wind, glass would be better if it's windy. But I think it insulated better. After about 8 - 10 years it started going a bit opaque. I chose it because it was next to a paddock with my horses and the ground was quite stony. The horses would play and kick up the stones and I worried about breakages.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • We built a polytunnel over 20 years ago in an area in our garden that nothing seemed to do well.
    The produce that we have had from this polytunnel has been ongoing.
    Pak choi, carrots, strawberries, aubergines, chillies, peppers, tomatoes, different lettuces, kohl rabi, cucumbers......and not just one of crops but we are able to keep them going all year round.
    If you have the space then do go for that space and enjoy your never ending harvests.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,538
    Definitely greenhouse if you have the room. Not only can you grow for a longer season, but in an unheated one you can overwinter half hardy and bedding plants.  
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 2,175
    We have polycarbonate panels in our ( new ) greenhouse( we moved house two years ago and just bought a new one last year, we missed our old one a lot) and my OH has secured the panels by drilling little holes into the top and bottom corners of the panels and securing them to the frame , with electrical ties. We have had some high winds here and none have moved.The little wire clips that you get with these greenhouse are no good at all on their own. These types of greenhouse are perfectly adequate for growing veg, tomatoes, seeds, plants etc so if you have room, I'd definitely go for it! 
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,463
    Love my greenhouse, though I don't grow veg. I like glass best.
  • WoostieWoostie Posts: 38
    Thank you all for your replies. I'll definitely give it a go. 
  • BraidmanBraidman Posts: 137
    One final thing if either greenhouse or poly tunnel buy as BIG as you have space or money for or else in future years you will be sorry you did not get a larger one.

I bought an 8X10 greenhouse, thought it would be big enough but it is just a little tiddler, I could have afforded and had space for a 8X14 but didn't buy it, now i'm sorry!
  • TeTe Posts: 193
    Very true word Braidman, always get as big as you can possibly fit in your garden, we are fortunate we have both a large glasshouse in the south and a poly tunnel in the north 😊
    "There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true"
  • BraidmanBraidman Posts: 137
    Te said:
    Very true word Braidman, always get as big as you can possibly fit in your garden, we are fortunate we have both a large glasshouse in the south and a poly tunnel in the north 😊

Some people have all the luck!

Cheers!
  • WoostieWoostie Posts: 38
    Thank you. Unfortunately space is not something I have plenty of but will be happy with a small(ish) one.