Forum home Tools and techniques

Community growing

• FireFire LondonPosts: 11,576
    edited September 2020
    The plot was a tree bed, like th others. The tree had been removed several years ago and nothing had been done with the plot. Usually they tarmac it over if they are not going to replace. We haven't exended the bed - just worked with what is there. There is room for buggies to pass, though, yes, the pavement does get a bit narrower where the tre beds are.

Lots of bulbs are coming up on the little plot. I was very excited to find lots of fat worms wriggling in the soil after our first six months. No dog or cat poo so far, not too much litter. Loads of kids heartily enjoying all the art around the edges. Ten people on the street in a group to help the little plot thrive. All good so far; although we are expecting a dump of snow this weekend. I hope the iris retic. will not be too mashed. There will be a load of snowdrops soon going in for flowering next year.

• Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 1,740
    Such a great thing to do! Must have missed this when you first posted.
    We're going to put a wicker boundary around it in a few weeks, to stop the edges getting mashed.

edited 18 May
    Planting of tree beds is spreading in the area and looking so pretty; Sensitively done too. One of our streets has planted up pretty much every tree on the street. It's a shame they don't do more with their front gardens four foot away, but hey ho. One step at a time.  - - There is a paid parking scheme a foot locally that might encouraging residents to turn their front gardens into (free to park) driveways, which would be a tragedy in my book. Hopefully the new emphasis on gardening and wild life will make neighbours think twice.

My own tree bed has been recently trashed - possibly by a grumpy neighbour. So I will use the opportunity to start again with cuttings I have over wintered and are ready to go. Plants getting trashed is, sadly, par for the course with public planting.

a sh

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,157
    @Fire - very sorry to hear that your bed has been trashed but good for you that you will start again.
    The pics of your Community Gardening scheme - veg or flowers - have been wonderful and I hope you and neighbours continue despite any setbacks.
    Very best of luck :)
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 676
    So sorry to hear about the bad behavior of some. It’s a lovely project and so nice to see folks taking a bit of pride in their surroundings. Love the fairy door and the ladybirds, pretty additions.
    Thanks for the comments. I think fairy gardens might be firing excitement in the neighbourhood's kids for gardening play - a space where their imagination can run free. And that's good enough for me.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,914
    They are fabulous - I'd be so cheered to walk past something like that  :) Loving the ladybug stones 
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”