Forum home The potting shed

What gardening favourites have you had to 'retire' recently?

I have had my trusty pair of gardening clogs for many years but alas, they are nearing the bin. After lots of repairs and much glue, I regret it is almost time to replace them. Although I can not seem to find an identical pair, which is annoying. It got me wondering what other people are dreading giving up when it is time to replace.

• gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 274
    I'm dreading my secatours breaking. I have arthritis in my fingers and these are perfect as they are easy to squeeze but still capable of cutting fairly thick branches. It took me ages to find a pair that i could use properly.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,973
    Shoes are definitely the hardest to get rid of.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • @gjautos -- I'd love to know what brand you use as my sister has rheumatism in her fingers, and she struggles too.

@Cambridgerose12 i use Felco model 12. They aren't cheap, i think i paid around £50 a few years ago, but they work for me. They seem to stay sharp for a long time too. I think you can get them from amazon, i bought mine in a local garden centre, but they dont stock them anymore.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,103
    They are still available on Amazon.
    I think it would be helpful if there was a list of tools that could be used easily by people who's hands have ceased to work as they did decades earlier. So many garden tasks get more difficult with the passing of time and so many tools are seemingly designed for big, young blokes with giant, muscular hands. There seems to be little thought given to those of us who are on the dinky side and suffering from painful hands.

On the subject of gardening favourites that are on the verge of retirement, my Hunter wellies are now held together with duct tape and when that fails, I shall be very upset.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,458
    edited 31 January
    My 4 year oldHunters have big splits where they crease when I am kneeling to do hand weeding and I found out on Friday that the feet are no longer water tight. I have some Joules wellies at the ready to replace them but they don't feel as though they will withstand the sort of hammer I'm going to give them. On the plus side they're half the price of the Hunters....

I have a Rohan body warmer which is ideal for gardening (lots of pockets!). It's nearly 30 years old and still giving good service. I'll be very upset if that gives up the ghost!
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
    Ceres said:
    They are still available on Amazon.
    I think it would be helpful if there was a list of tools that could be used easily by people who's hands have ceased to work as they did decades earlier. So many garden tasks get more difficult with the passing of time and so many tools are seemingly designed for big, young blokes with giant, muscular hands. There seems to be little thought given to those of us who are on the dinky side and suffering from painful hands.

On the subject of gardening favourites that are on the verge of retirement, my Hunter wellies are now held together with duct tape and when that fails, I shall be very upset.
    @ceres, cheeky! I'm only 43. 😂
    Many of the surveys we get from students ask us what  problems we have. Hopefully one or two will come up with something genuinely useful.
     In the meantime, if you're worried about your secateurs giving up the ghost, it's better to try and find a replacement now rather than later .
    @B3 yes agreed, that would be the sensible thing to do. Alot of money to spend just for them to sit there though.
    It's like buying a  new umbrella. It's guaranteed to stop it raining😊