Forum home The potting shed

Can you help identify the larvae in the soil please?

Hi,
Can you help identify the larvae which is very prevalent in the soil. The garden historically has been used for exhibition roses by my dad but he cannot remember seeing these. I have looked online, books etc but cannot identify. They are approx 2-4mm and have what llok like horns. Sorry for the quality of the picture. Thank you.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,608
    It's a bit hard to tell but they're probably springtails. Do they jump about when disturbed?
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Thank you. This was taken in the Autumn my recollection is they move pretty quickly. If it helps they appeared to be in clusters of what looked like hundreds all together. If it helps I live in north Wales. Are they harmful to a veg garden and what would be the best way to deal with them if needed? Sorry for all the questions.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,081
    They look like springtails, beneficial soil fauna.

• Definitely springtails. Great little critters.
  • Could be Protaphorura armata based on my own images (keyed out) but hard to say.
  • Hi thank you.
    No doubt Protaphorura armata as I have seen them close up. Can I take it they are beneficial in the veg garden. 
    Once again thanks. 
  • Definitely. Benign breaker downerers.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,716
    I had these in the spring, wondered what on earth they were looked terrifying!!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,387
    Good bird food I should think.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw