Forum home The potting shed

"none of your foreign muck here"

FireFire LondonPosts: 11,220
So, London's plant imports have seized up. Just talking with my small, independent, local garden shop about snowdrops, iris ret, crocus etc. They have no stock, because their Dutch companies can get no import clearance. The shop owners are passionate Brexiters and would wax lyrical about the sunlit uplands of British sovereignty. Not so much now, with an empty shop.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,092
    The flipside is hopefully we will be less reliant on Dutch/Italian tree imports and build up our own nursery trade. (This applies especially to the construction sector).
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,220
    The UK hort sector has had four years to plan for British grown goods market. It doesn't seem to have helped.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,061
    Our government doesn't plan that far ahead. They might not be in power then and they want to empty the trough while they can.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,076
    Nothing working much the other way either. Some of my regular sources of UK goodies - not just plants, food items, cosmetics - where suppliers have suspended all exports. I have a consignment of household goods and inherited furniture currently stuck in the UK because customs officials on both sides cannot agree on the correct paperwork - customs declarations, tariffs, VAT arrangements etc. A friend is an antiques dealer who buys a lot in French fairs, says her transporters cannot get any clarity on the requirements from the UK Government, so trade there has seized up too.
    The sector too needs to do market planning. It should be a boom time coming for British grown goods. Except it seems it won't be.
     I have a consignment of household goods and inherited furniture currently stuck in the UK because customs officials on both sides cannot agree on the correct paperwork - customs declarations, tariffs, VAT arrangements etc.
    So sorry to hear you are struggling with all this @Nollie

My major very personal concern is medications. If there are delays in certain meds coming into the country and I can't get them I am screwed in short order. I know certain hormone drugs have been in very short supply for years and this is certain to get worse; I have friends who have been told they will just have to wait months because they can simply not be imported.

edited 22 January
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,076
    Well, a bit of furniture and old stuff is not urgent - in fact, there are certain pieces I’m rather ambivalent, shall we say, about receiving 😆 and I’m sure it will be sorted at some point. People’s livelihoods and indeed lives are much more of a worry, Fire, I hope if there are problems with meds, they get that sorted as a priority.