Forum home The potting shed

Unused Land Banked by Companies - Allotments

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,800
There are links to articles on the web and through newspapers that show that areas of our country is just been left unused as they are being Land banked by supermarkets and others for financial reasons which they are entitled to do.

In these strange times I would hope that the holding companies could be coerced into releasing plots of land to be turned into allotments for a rolling 5 year term.

Apologies if this is not a true post re GW rules but its just something that I feel deeply about when we have / will have food shortages and there is a rise in MH problems.

I realise this is a complex situation but I would hope that the UK could get more citizens digging and growing in the next few years
Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,185
    In theory, if 6 or more householders in the same LA area,  get together they can "require"  the Council to  find suitable land for Allotments if there are no other places available at existing sites.  Hardly ever happens that I know of. 
    AB Still learning

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,797
    edited 20 January
    Councils can't access the land that Newboy is referring to. It's in private ownership. We've not yet reached a point where councils could justify CPO-ing land for allotments.
    The best bet would be to try to apply reputational pressure but carrots work better than sticks so you'd need one to do it as a 'look aren't we marvellous?' PR stunt and hope the others follow so as not to look bad. It takes a lot of pressure to achieve that sort of thing though
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”