Forum home The potting shed

Scilla peruviana

I have had these bulbs for a few years but they have yet to flower. I have lots of healthy leaves at the moment, they are growing in a partly shaded south facing area of the garden. Should I move them to a more shaded area?

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,601
    Opposite. They like as sunny a position as possible.
  • Thank you. When would be a good time to transplant the bulbs?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,393
    I'd do it now.
  • The ground here is still frozen but I will move them asap. Thanks again for your advice
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,601
    Better moved when dormant rather than when in full leaf,  but if you do move them now take as big a root ball with them as you are able. The less root disturbance the better,
  • I imagine having been in the ground for several years they should have a pretty substantial root system but if I can move them soon are that likely to flower this year?
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 756
    Bulbs make their flowers the year before. If yours have not flowered in their current position due to lack of light then it may be the case that they will not flower this year even when moved. However, the improvement in location may encourage flowers to form and emerge next year.
  • I guess I will have to be content that they are going to be in the right location for next year. Thanks for your input.