Forum home The potting shed

Investigating the increase in home production horticulture and gardening due to Covid19.

As a student, I am investigating the impacts that Covid19 has had and is having on the horticulture industry. This poll will be used to calculate the increase of gardening and home production horticulture if any, caused by the outbreak.

Investigating the increase in home production horticulture and gardening due to Covid19. 30 votes

I began gardening/growing my own due to reasons directly linked to the outbreak of Covid19
6% 2 votes
I began gardening/growing my own before the outbreak, or due to other reasons
80% 24 votes
None of the above
13% 4 votes

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,634
    I doubt that my hit and miss, home grown efforts will have much of an impact on the horticulture industry. 😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,664
    Unfortunately - the majority of people on this forum are already gardeners, so I'm not sure how any info can be useful - especially from just those two questions.  A better set of options might get a more useful response :)
    I doubt the ones who have been at home more have greatly increased what they've grown either. I'm assuming this is about growing food too, but it's not terribly clear.

Anyone assuming they can be self sufficient in food is pretty deluded anyway - it's a massive, time consuming, difficult job  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 18,974
    I am more than happy to take part in a survey if I feel that the surveyor has put a little effort into formulating the questions . I haven't bothered with this one.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3 said:
    I am more than happy to take part in a survey if I feel that the surveyor has put a little effort into formulating the questions . I haven't bothered with this one.
    Constructive criticism is welcomed, but this is a little unspecific.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,137
    edited 12 January
    I think you are asking the wrong crowd or asking the wrong questions.
    Horticultural supplies have been greatly affected this year. It might be interesting to find out which products were most hit and why people think that is.
    Garden centres were affected.
    I've personally been gardening for ten years, but gardened less in 2020 than usual as I was so busy and knackered. Also, because of covid restrictions my garden was empty of friends and neighbours for most of the year, which was a downer.

This forum has many people on it who are/were professional gardeners, run their own garden companies, ran small holdings, open their gardens to the public, are RHS trained, are life-long gardeners / allotmenteers etc.
    B3 said:
    Constructive criticism is welcomed, but this is a little unspecific.
    As is your survey
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,376
    You are asking people on a gardening forum, generally they are already gardeners. If you asked the same question on Anglers monthly or Darts weekly,  you will get very different answers.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Ooh I've been flagged😯. What did I do?
  • delskidelski Posts: 274
    You were rude.
  • koyukanokoyukano Posts: 72
    B3 said:
    Ooh I've been flagged😯. What did I do?
    I'm not sure what flagged means, although it might have been the "I haven't bothered with this one comment"  o:) I don't come on here too regular so not sure how often people post polls like this, guessing it's fairly regular and the polls can be a bit lackluster at times, have to say when I first read the post I didn't see anything terrible about the poll and if people don't want to answer it I always think it's better just to ignore the post rather than putting something a little derogatory or sarcastic. I personally didn't see the harm in your post, just a bit of banter really.