Forum home Plants

Cutting Miscanthus

KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,161
Debating whether it’s too early to cut back my Miscanthus?  We are in London and can get some very mild February’s, when they start growing.  

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,302
    Mine are still fairly upright (South West), but are starting to shed leaves. If yours are starting to look tatty and green is appearing, if it's a sheltered garden you could do it. I heard rumours of a possible Beast from the East 2 in the next week or two, but nothing definite. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,399
    I'd wait till end of Jan just in case as the old stems will protect the crowns form damaging frosts.   Keep an eye on it, just in case and then cut early Feb or whenever you spot the first new green shoots, whichever comes first and assuming it's not brass monkeys out there. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,161
    Thanks, I'll leave it a bit then.  Please, please no more Beast's from the East @AnniD It only just started getting milder today, and I did my first gardening since the Autumn.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,302
    You and me both @KeenOnGreen, first time out in the garden for ages. Ironically l was mostly clearing up bits of Miscanthus leaves  :)
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,171
    There’s good advice here from the team at Beth Chatto Gardens on tidying up ornamental grasses.

https://www.bethchatto.co.uk/gardens/our-blog/advice/spring-cleaning-grasses.htm