Forum home Plants

Acer Seiryu

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 649
I purchased this about four months ago with the intention of putting it in a pot, not realising quite how big it is estimated to get. I currently have it on my patio in a container. I know many of you successfully grow these in containers and wondered if anyone has this variety and what are your thoughts regarding shape, colour, position etc. I confess when I bought it I took so long looking at so many that eventually l just grabbed one! t i a as always.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,197
    Keeping it in a pot will restrict it, but it will need a lot of water and care.
    AB Still learning

• WillowBarkWillowBark Posts: 125
    Had a look on the JParker website, as I'd seen something with a similar name on there recently. They have an Acer palmatum 'dissectum Seiryu' - so not sure if that's quite the same kind as yours or not? - and it says that they're suitable for growing in pots (in fact they listed it as a "positive attribute"), so hopefully you should be okay. It just might need a bit more TLC than a tree that's growing freely in the ground.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,763
    Had a look on the JParker website, as I'd seen something with a similar name on there recently. They have an Acer palmatum 'dissectum Seiryu' - so not sure if that's quite the same kind as yours or not? - and it says that they're suitable for growing in pots (in fact they listed it as a "positive attribute"), so hopefully you should be okay. It just might need a bit more TLC than a tree that's growing freely in the ground.
    Parkers is completely correct.
    The full name is  Acer palmatum dissectum Seiryu.
    However it is  rather a mouthful and my pics are just labelled the shortened name Acer Seiryu.
    They are identical plants.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • delskidelski Posts: 111
    How old is that beautiful specimen in your pic @Silver surfer ?
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,763
    delski said:
    How old is that beautiful specimen in your pic @Silver surfer ?
    So sorry I cannot remember when they were planted.
    Previously had a record of planting dates,but then we moved from South Wales to Scotland and records now gone.
    The above pics actually show 2 different specimens of Seiryu.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 649
    @Silver surfer, thank you so much for the beautiful pictures and advice.
    @WillowBark, thanks for clarification on being able to keep it in a container (for now at least).  ;)
  • WillowBarkWillowBark Posts: 125
    @Meomye, you're welcome; sorry I couldn't help on the "shape/colour/position etc." bit of your question.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,399
    Dissectum types generally have more fragile leaves, more susceptible to wind and sun scorch than the plain palmatum types.  Whether in a pot or in the ground it is going to need  sheltered corner and dappled shade.

You'll need to give it a good, loam based compost such as John Innes no 3 with about 25% Levington type or MPC for water retention.  There will only be food for about 90 days in any compost so you need to be ready to top dress every spring with slow release fertiliser to keep it going throughout the growing season and make sure it never goes thirsty.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw