Forum home Problem solving

Bergenia Problem

I have 2 bergenia, one whose name I forget, but grows and flowers very happily by our stream. I bought another bergenia 'Eden's Magic Giant', 2 years ago. I planted it somewhere damp at the bottom of the garden, and it almost died, so it is now in a pot outside the greenhouse - but it is not thriving.
Are there any suggestions on what to do to 'wake the plant up' (I have stopped buying plants from that source!)
Many thanks

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 805
    There's a reasonable amount of information online including this page from the RHS.https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/161998/Bergenia-Eden-s-Magic-Giant/Details

It says moist but well-drained, so I imagine it was just too damp by the stream. Bergenia are incredibly drought tolerant - think of their inclusion in the planting in Beth Chatto's Dry Garden. If i were to take an educated guess, I would say the roots have probably rotted in the wet site. Is there any material from which you could try to take a cutting in spring, or now if you think it's giving up the ghost? Or maybe try again with a fresh plant in a different spot.
  • Totally agree with rachelQrtJHBjb. They won't be too happy in a pot long-term, so pop them in the ground, but somewhere nice and well-drained and sunny.

Mind you, not all varieties are the same. I have found some to be more fussy and suicidal than others. Never tried this variety, so I don't know.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,639
    At this time of year, many plants look worse for wear, so I wouldn't worry too much about the plant at the moment.

I agree with others about getting it planted out when possible. In the long run, the plant prefers to be un-restricted. Your plant may have been a be small-ish clump to begin with, and some plants can take a while to bed in.
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,404
    Bergenia was one of the plants to survive when the garden I am custodian of now was neglected.  I use it as ground cover under a birch tree in a sunny open spot so I can vouch for its incredible drought tolerance.  Not sure of mine's variety but hope this is helpful as a background as to how to proceed.