Forum home Fruit & veg

Growing tomatoes indoors in winter

Does anyone do this with any success, what's the taste like, any tips to share? Just considering this for a bit of fun and although the cost of LED lights seems to have come down in recent years it still seems quite an expensive option to cheat nature.  Decent "heritage" tomatoes are around £2-3 for not many in sains at the minute so pretty pricey and I guess that home grown tomatoes would still beat shop bought ones even in winter!

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,302
    We get questions about growing during the winter and most of the time we seem to agree that leaving it to the professionals is the best way. When you factor in the costs involved you can easily find some lovely organic tomatoes that will be very tasty and trouble free. Or of course eat seasonally and make tomatoes a warm weather treat, I rather like keeping vegetables as a seasonal treat, like the short asparagus window that I look forward to with anticipation. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,579
    Waste of time, space and money unless you have a huge greenhouse or polytunnel with insulation, heat, lights.  Tomatoes are a warm weather long daylight hours crop.

Far better to grow more than you can eat in summer and use the surplus to make home-made passata, chilli jam, tomato chutneys, semi-dried toms stored in olive oil and the like so you can enjoy your own in winter in sauces, casseroles, with pasta, on toast.....   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw