Forum home Problem solving

Acer pruning

I pruned my Acer a few days ago, and I noticed this morning that a very watery sap is extruding from the stump. Is this anything to worry about.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,277
    edited November 2020
    Acers are best pruned in the coldest part of winter - December/January or anytime after a period where the temperature has been on average, around 4c or less for a couple of weeks. Not easy in these days of climate change.

I had to prune an established acer a couple of years ago ( in January) which was overhanging a footpath.
    It bled quite a bit for about 3 weeks. The following year the leaves on that part of the tree where much smaller than on the rest of the tree. It has recovered somewhat this year.

PS there's not much you can do now, other than cross your fingers and hope for the best.In extreme cases they can bleed to death.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • blushandroselipblushandroselip Posts: 2
    edited November 2020
    Hopefully the tree will be alright but wounds take a long time to heal in the early spring, and it may continue to bleed for some time. As you have found out, the sap is already rising, and as far as the tree is concerned it is no longer the dormant season.

There is not much you can do at this time, certainly don't try to seal the cut with anything.

For future reference, I would limit pruning to before the new year, December and January would be good months to choose.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,161
    @blushandroselip I’m confused by your last paragraph. You are advising the poster to do exactly what he has done ... it is currently November.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,161
    Oh @blushandroselip you've edited your post and now mine doesn't make sense ... just to clarify, your original post 

blushandroselip said:
    ...  For future reference, I would limit pruning to before the new year, November and December would be good months to choose.
    Just so folk don't think I was being obtuse  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Oh @blushandroselip you've edited your post and now mine doesn't make sense ... just to clarify, your original post 

blushandroselip said:
    ...  For future reference, I would limit pruning to before the new year, November and December would be good months to choose.
    Just so folk don't think I was being obtuse  :)

Thanks for this - much appreciated!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
     As you have found out, the sap is already rising, and as far as the tree is concerned it is no longer the dormant season.

I take it you aren't in the UK? It isn't spring here, it's autumn, so these shrubs are dormant.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I am in the UK, and you are correct, it is Autumn.
    I was referring to the other poster @sllowarch7MECsTY-  ;)

• That's me in the UK sllowarch7MECsTY
    I think you're misunderstanding. I realise you're in the UK . My post was in reply to @blushandroselip, which is why I quoted their post in mine.  :)