Forum home Problem solving

New to growing cyclamen

Hi
I'm new to growing cyclamen and not sure on a flower bud or seed pod. Can anyone help?

• B3B3 Posts: 15,805
    It's a seed pod. Pull it out sharply so that the stem comes too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,135
    Flower buds are longer and slimmer. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you so much! I've got some pulling to do. That should keep me warm!
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,376
    Are you supposed to deadhead cyclamen then (if you dont want seeds)?  
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,947
    I never remove the seedheads and my Cyclamen are spreading. Slowly but nicely.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,619
    I think the OP's cyclamen is an indoor one, @LG_ .  Dead flowers on these tend to spoil the look of the plant, and many people remove them for that reason.  It's great to let the hardy ones self-seed and spread though.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    Ah yes, of course. 
    - Cicero
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,805
    And sometimes the stems rot.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    I always forget about the indoor ones, sorry @FairyJennet. And I confess that when I was given one years ago I planted it outside after a while in a very sheltered spot because I couldn't be bothered with it indoors... not advisable of course, but it still pops up most years 😂.
    - Cicero
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,825
    I am amazed at how quickly these little things form corms,  the seeds germinate easily in no time form the tiny corm,  they flower the flowing year.
    you need to keep them on the plant until they pop then leave them to dry out on a windowsill,  sow straight away. My problem is I can’t resist a seed head, consequence is, a load of little plants.

If anyone wants some seeds I have collected them yet again, would be happy to post. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.