Forum home Garden design

Conifer help

Hello. I have recently purchased my first home and decided to buy quite a few 2m conifers to plant in front and the side of the house for privacy. Our house is facing an open space and I have been told we can have an issue with the conifers because of the wind. Please see photos attached. I'm really hoping they would be fine but if i risk them getting wind burn i might have to reconsider..

Many thanks 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I wouldn't have bought conifers at that height. However, if you can establish them properly, they're very resilient. They don't so well in dry conditions though, so prep and aftercare is important. 
    You will need to make sure you trim them carefully too. If they get too big, and you cut back too far-  ie into brown wood, they won't regrow. Never take more than the current amount of new growth off, or you risk that.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    I wouldn't have bought conifers at that height. However, if you can establish them properly, they're very resilient. They don't so well in dry conditions though, so prep and aftercare is important. 
    You will need to make sure you trim them carefully too. If they get too big, and you cut back too far-  ie into brown wood, they won't regrow. Never take more than the current amount of new growth off, or you risk that.  :)
    thank you for the advice :) im willing to give it a go, my husband on the other hand not so much but we shall see.