Forum home Fruit & veg

banana plant

I'm growing a banana plant in my greenhouse at an average temperature of 20c and lighting, it is still producing leaves and is now 15ft tall do you think it will produce a flower ? regards David

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,306
    If it was mine I'd let it go dormant instead of wasting huge amounts of energy just for a flower. There's sometimes things that are possible and yet they're not advisable from a financial or environmental point of view. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,015
    One of my neighbours has a banana in her back garden. She wraps it in the winter. This year it flowered and has lots of little bananas. Amazing for Nottingham area.   I dig mine up , trim it down, and keep it just frost free for the winter.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 78,341
    This shows you how to get bananas to flower 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/comment/2265825#Comment_2265825

🍌 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• thank you @ Dovefromabove,  the link you posted  gives useful information and guidance for how to look after banana plant in winter.