Forum home Garden design

Need a Hedge

Hi .... I want to plant a hedge about 5 metres long to act as a partition and to hide three compost bins and a 1.4 m high small shed.

I am an avid feeder of birds and a hedgehog or two.

I would like the hedge to be no more than 1.4 metres high and if possible to attract wildlife; winter colour would be good. 

Soil is good and the area is well drained.

I have never planted a hedge before and can't make up my mind how to proceed so any advice would be most gratefully received.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 14,179
    Welcome to the forum. Lovely that you have hedgehogs.

Perhaps a mixed native hedge would be the thing - providing good, dense shelter, blossom and berries; such as wild crab apple, hawthorn, blackthorn, hazel.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,463
    How much width do you have to play with? That's also quite important, as is what else is around the area, as that can affect how well hedging establishes. 
    It's a very precise height you mention. Is there a reason for that? Most hedging can be kept trimmed to the desired height though. 
    Anything which has flowers and fruit is good, from cotoneaster to hawthorn, as well as the aforementioned crab apple, and also rosa rugosa. Blackthorn suckers quite a lot, hence my query about what else is around.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Presumably this needs to be evergreen so that you don't see them in the winter.

It will also take a small number of years to establish.

One further option would be to install a temporary block behind whilst it is establishing - even something lightweight like hazel hurdles.
    “Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
  • Thanks everyone .... each side of the site for the hedge is paved.... patio on one side then a gap of about 1.5 metres where there used to be a large raised bed.
    The other side of the gap is paved over with 3 compost bins and a shed.
    I will follow up on your suggestions over the next few weeks.
    Thanks again
    Just in addition - it's bare root season now, and hedging plants are cheaper when bought at that time. It's easier for establishing them from now until about March or April  :)

• Thank you so much for your interest.
    Going to my excellent local garden centre Monday to have a browse
    Take a look online @dbarnes25607 if you want bare root. GCs don't usually have that - only potted plants, which is a dearer way of doing it  :)

I've used this firm a few times, and there are plenty of others 
    https://www.hopesgrovenurseries.co.uk/

Do both though - and it'll give you some ideas of what might suit you, and the cost  :)

• Thanks once again ... it’s lovely to have a forum like this one with helpful people like you as members.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,807
    I bought 10 Potugeuse Laurel plants 4 years ago and now have a 4 foot tall wide hedge for £80.00 and intelligent clipping.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • Thank you ... will have a look