Forum home Garden design

Mixing Perennials/annuals with Bulbs (Alliums, daffodils etc)

I only have small balcony.

I have planted some bee friendly bulbs like alliums, I considered putting some crocus, snow drop and dwarf daffodils in the front.

My question is will the following plants be happy together with my alliums...

- Cosmos
- Verbenna
- Cornflower
- Lavender

I am basically trying to make a year around pot (Pot is large) that is bee friendly and uses both bulbs as well as annuals/perennials.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,079
    edited October 2020
    I think the annuals will be fine if the container is big enough to fit them all in. None of them is particulrly greedy in terms of feeding requirements, and all either need or are OK with decent drainage so you shouldn't end up with rotting bulbs from too much water while they're dormant. It does sound like a lot for one container though, unless it's only one of each plant in which case it could look a bit spotty. Bear in mind that the lavender doesn't like to be shaded out so it might not be happy with the annuals, which can get quite tall and might get floppy particularly if it's windy. It might be easier to manage in a container on its own, or maybe with small bulbs (snowdrops, crocus) around it.
  • JennyJ said:
    I think the annuals will be fine if the container is big enough to fit them all in. None of them is particulrly greedy in terms of feeding requirements, and all either need or are OK with decent drainage so you shouldn't end up with rotting bulbs from too much water while they're dormant. It does sound like a lot for one container though, unless it's only one of each plant in which case it could look a bit spotty. Bear in mind that the lavender doesn't like to be shaded out so it might not be happy with the annuals, which can get quite tall and might get floppy particularly if it's windy. It might be easier to manage in a container on its own, or maybe with small bulbs (snowdrops, crocus) around it.
    Thanks. I will probably omit the lavender and let that have its own deal going on in another pot. Thanks for tip.

I have no idea what I am talking about really. Does one cosmos plant for example make a huge plant or do you need several for any really impact?

Same question for Verbenna?

I appreciate your advice.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,079
    edited October 2020
    My experience of cosmos is tall and spindly but I've only grow them once and didn't much like them. There are lots of types of verbena. The popular V. bonariensis can get very tall (6ft or more sometimes) so I assumed you meant the annual bedding verbenas that are small and I think there are trailing forms (not sure though) . For a perennial one, V. Bampton is short and bushy in an airy sort of way, but not very impactful on its own. Annual cornflowers come in tall and shorter varieties - check the seed packets when you choose them. Be sure to choose a dwarf kind of lavender too, there are some that get pretty big.
  • SydRoySydRoy Posts: 166
    Cosmos no, Lavender no, everything else fine. Maybe stick in an ivy or a small grass for a bit of long term greenery.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,427
    edited October 2020
    I've grown a dwarf cosmos this year, which is only around 50cm tall, and pretty well bomb-proof.  Needs a biggish pot.  I had 8 plants on their own in a 35cm pot, which would have been better if bigger.  (Sonata dwarf mixed)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 805
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/eight-plants-to-grow-with-cosmos/  Many of the annual combinations with cosmos should do well in a seasonal pot, if it's large enough. I agree with @Liriodendron that the dwarf cosmos may be better suited to the mix. You could opt for Verbena 'Lollipop' which is a shorter version of Verbena bonariensis. Cosmos with the lollipop verbena and a gaura would give you colour all summer long. Best to buy the plants and/or grow from seed in spring.