Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hi, does anyone have any idea what this is? It's grown huge, but no sign of any flower all summer

RowenagRowenag Posts: 22

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 579
    Looks like it could be Teazle, are there prickles on the back of the leaf?
  • RowenagRowenag Posts: 22
    I've not seen a fern like this Andy Morris. I'm not sure about the prickles. I would have to check tomorrow. i've not heard of teazle before. Is this something to dig up? 
    thank you both for replies

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 579
    Teazle is an interesting plant; it's use is days gone by was to raise the nap on cloth. The seedheads are loved by goldfinches and although they seed about they are easy to remove. Also make nice floral decorations in winter if sprayed and I've also used them for craft, making hedgehogs!
    Thanks. Do you know when it should flower?

• It looks like it could be horseradish (Armoracia rusticana):

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    It looks like it could be horseradish (Armoracia rusticana):

I've had a look at the link and I see what you mean about horsradish, but I think that's possibly the plant behind, which actually is a help because I didn't know that one either! Thank you
  • I think the one behind is probably broad-leaved dock (Rumex obtusifolius.)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    I've  just had a look at that one under Google Images and think you are right. Thanks for taking the time to help me.
  • LG_LG_ Posts: 4,353
    Could it possibly be Echium pininana?
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    I've just had a look at that one, but it isn't growing with any sort of stalk and I'm not sure the leaves are quite right. Thanks for reply