Forum home Problem solving

New garden has bare patches

edited September 2020 in Problem solving
Hi
New to GW please bare with my beginner questions. We have recently bought a new house and so new to the garden care. We mowed the lawn the first time after 6 weeks it was laid as we were told to do so. Now we can see the garden has lots of bare patches. What can we do to make it look fuller. Any advice would be great 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,593
    I don't think it looks too bad. Make sure the mower blades are nice and sharp so it cuts cleanly rather than tearing the grass, mow little but often but not too short until it stops growing for the winter (collecting the clippings) and avoid walking on it except when mowing (it's too young to take much wear), then start mowing again when it begins growing in the spring. It's not established enough to be thinking about feeding, raking etc.
  • JennyJ said:
    I don't think it looks too bad. Make sure the mower blades are nice and sharp so it cuts cleanly rather than tearing the grass, mow little but often but not too short until it stops growing for the winter (collecting the clippings) and avoid walking on it except when mowing (it's too young to take much wear), then start mowing again when it begins growing in the spring. It's not established enough to be thinking about feeding, raking etc.
    Thanks for a quick reply. I think the blades were not sharp as we borrowed the lawnmower. But the thing is that we have got loads more patches like these in both front and at the back. So should we only water and proper mow to help it.  
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,681
    When was the turf laid?
    As @JennyJ says - you don't want to be on it any more than is necessary, especially if it's been recently laid. It takes a while for the turf to root properly, so just watering if you have no regular rain, and mowing lightly.
    Watering needs to be done properly - not a sprinkle every day, and that encourages roots to get down  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    When was the turf laid?
    As @JennyJ says - you don't want to be on it any more than is necessary, especially if it's been recently laid. It takes a while for the turf to root properly, so just watering if you have no regular rain, and mowing lightly.
    Watering needs to be done properly - not a sprinkle every day, and that encourages roots to get down  :)
    It was done quite a while ago. In the end of July and then we mowed for the first time after 5 weeks. It’s been like this since. How often should we water it?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,681
    Watering is one of those things that's quite difficult to advise on.
    If the grass is growing well, and you have rainfall, it should be fine by now. I wouldn't need to water a new lawn at all here for example. 
    However, if you live in a very dry part of the country, you may still need to water a couple of times a week until you're in properly autumn conditions. 
    Obviously, if you have frosts, you wouldn't water. In cooler conditions, the rate of grass growth will slow down too   :)

It's only been down a couple of months, so it will still be getting bedded in. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes, it's just not established yet, treat it kindly--not a lot of walking/mowing/etc and keep it watered in dry spells and let it get properly bedded in. It'll be fine. It's been such a hot dry year and grass tends to die off for protection, then it resprouts in the spring or after a wet spell.
  • Yes, it's just not established yet, treat it kindly--not a lot of walking/mowing/etc and keep it watered in dry spells and let it get properly bedded in. It'll be fine. It's been such a hot dry year and grass tends to die off for protection, then it resprouts in the spring or after a wet spell.
    Brilliant. I thought we would have to do it all over again. Thanks a lot 😊