Forum home Fruit & veg

Strawberry Plants In Containers

dthornelydthornely Sheffield, EnglandPosts: 11
I have grown strawberry plants from seeds this year (no fruit though this year as weren't established enough) and these are in wooden and metal pots. Am I okay to leave these in the pots outside over winter or should I move them inside to say my garage as I do not have a green house?
Also should I be removing any of the leaves?
Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,756
    They'll be fine as long as they're a reasonable size, and even then, they should be ok. If you're concerned, you can tuck them against the house wall or similar.
    We've just been talking about this on another thread. In virtually every part of the UK they are totally hardy and will withstand anything. 
    You can remove old, dead leaves, but you can also just leave them until spring. I usually do that when I'm refreshing soil and feeding them etc.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• dthornelydthornely Sheffield, EnglandPosts: 11
    Thanks Fairygirl, I'm extremely new to growing fruit and veg! A lockdown hobby that I need to continue with!!
    Hope you continue to  enjoy it  :)
    I've just seen that you're in Sheffield, so no problem with the plants being outside. It would be only be a problem if they were still just tiny seedlings  :)

Thanks again.

No problem - if you can add photos with any queries, that's always a big help too, especially when it's about problems with a plant or an ID etc.

Size too-  what one person calls small, can be different from what someone else calls small  ;)

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,953
    @dthornely if you leave them outside and the weather kills any of them, I'll nip over to Sheffield next spring and bring replacements  ;)
    👍👍