Forum home The potting shed

Hedgehogs hibernating already?

I'm still putting food out for the hedgehogs but a lot of it is being left,sometimes none is taken at all.I know i've lost a couple of the hogs that visited my garden(i've seen them squashed on the road near my house) but i didn't think it was hibernation time just yet.
Anyone else missing the nightly visits from the hedgehogs?Is it time to stop putting out food?It's the first year that hogs have been really active in my garden so i'm not up on their habits.

• KlinkKlink Posts: 261
    Not sure i posted this in the right place but hey ho... :/
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,156
    Ihad no visitors on Friday or Saturday, but back last night and tonight.
    I guess there's a lot of fruit, and seeds and berries about 
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,306
    Ours aren’t eating as much at the moment ... but I’ve noticed the same at this time in other years ... their routine changes as they start to prepare for hibernation ... building a hibernaculum etc. at least that’s how I interpret the behaviour. 
    We keep putting food out ... they didn’t really stop visiting for more than a few days at a time last winter. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hope so @Hostafan1. It's been heartbreaking to see my regular hogs dead on the road,i'm assuming there of course, but one of my regulars was enormous and i'm sure by the size of the one on the road, it was 'my' hog.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,881
    edited September 2020
    They do tend to change the routine at this time of year l find. Bearing in mind that hedgehogs can travel several miles in a night and visit several gardens, l would carry on putting food and water out for a while yet @Klink 🦔
    I've put some food out tonight @AnniD in the hopes that a hog or two might visit.Failing that,i have quite a few mice that are partial to a slap up meal on an evening :)
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,747
    I still have the baby that was brought and left in my garden, but the adults are not coming as regularly.  I will keep putting food out for a couple of months yet.