Forum home Garden design

new border for boring garden

• JanpanJanpan Posts: 5

You can see the timber sleepers better on this picture, llain on their side with stakes attached to the back of them and driven in to make them secure.

http://webkit-fake-url://8C026091-068D-4A72-8EAE-D94052F97BBE/imagejpeg

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156

Sorry janpan- no pix so we can't see anything!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Ah,trying from iPad. Will do on PC at home later! Sorry.

Birdy has put a thread on here about the pic problems with iPads - don't know if there's any responses yet Janpan but it's been a common issue here.

Thanks I'm a newbie.

Welcome anyway janpan! If you can use a pc and get them on here you'll get plenty of replies and advice- there's a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable people on the forum. I've learnt an awful lot already. Any info you can add will be a great help- ie aspect, soil type etc as well as your own requirements for the space.image

Hi fairygirl.  Thanks for the advice.  You will see that I have a small garden and two narrow borders, a quadrant border with only a buddleia in it and a newly laid lawn.  Advice on narrow borders for perennials and all year interest gratefully received.  My garden faces west and there is now little shade.  I will get a soil testing kit.  My mother in law is a fantastic gardener but I am pretty poor, due to time constraints.

• Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 595

JanPan - it's a pain trying to get pics to work from an iPad on the forum. You are supposed to have a toolbar of about 17 icons (including one of a tree. My toolbar was missing but I didn't know it was supposed to be there (above the  window you type into).

In the end I emailed the webteam and have the toolbar at last.  Its not completely troublefree but I can post photos. Have you got the toolbar?

• Sue6Sue6 Posts: 37

Been a while since my last post.  All the planting I did earlier in the year is still looking good except for my buddleia which snapped off at the root during the high winds we had in October.

I've been busy all autumn but as it was such nice weather last weekend I planted some evergreen shrubs which include bay tree, orange pyracantha, mrytle, arbutus marina & aucuba japonica.  However now I'm worried I was a bit silly as if we get a frost are they likely to all die??

I've put a thick layer of bark chippings around them, is this enough to protect them while they settle in... hopefully before we get hard frosts.

I'll take some photos to show you the progress. 

Thanks

• Sue6Sue6 Posts: 37

So far so good, although the recent storms gave them a bit of a battering!