Forum home Fruit & veg

Bruised apple suggestions

• FireFire LondonPosts: 11,550
    Apple butter is a good way preserve the apples.
  • @Fire, @Mander suggested apple butter as well. What is it exactly please? I've never heard of this before.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,550
    edited September 2020
    Basically, you cook the apples very slowly for an hour or more and let condense and reduce. If you do try it, I would add sugar a little at a time until it suits your taste. The amount in the above is probably too much, esp if you have sweet apples.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,064
    What did you do, blow it up with a bicycle pump! @strelitzia32 🤣 The hands are still cramping so its DIY I'm afraid 😆
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 698
    I just peel, chop and freeze them in single portions- single as in enough for one pie or crumble etc. Unless you prefer a puréed texture (and like them sweetened with sugar) many apples can be used raw under a crumble topping and will soften enough whilst the crumble is baking - especially if they’ve been frozen as that softens them anyway, so much so you can always mash them with a potato masher if you do want a purée.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • @Fire thanks for that link, I'm not the nominated chef in this house so I shall pass it along to the kitchen department  :)

@purplerallim haha! It's like that posh Kobe beef - I just played music to it, massaged it, and fed it only the finest mulch for the last 7 months. In return I get an apple approximately the size of Saturn  :D 

@Butterfly66 and they are perfectly usable with just the straight freezing from raw? That's good to know, thanks. Apart from a few specific examples (like chillies, which I know freeze perfectly), I generally don't bother freezing raw like that. I've had many failures in the past, the most surprising being French beans going totally wrong after freezing, I've given up on the space and time it takes.
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 698
    @strelitzia32 Yes perfectly fine to use for cooking/baking/apple sauce. They go soft and some varieties may slightly discolour but nothing that effects the flavour (or the look too much). Have always frozen them raw and done so with a variety of apples as it was just quicker and easier when I was working full time plus we like our apples tart so wouldn’t be adding sugar anyway.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,064
    @strelitzia32 maybe you should remember to wassail your tree this winter to appease the tree spirit, we got 5 apples this year.🤣
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 527
    edited September 2020
    I will be freezing some cut into “segments-ish”, for making apple cake later in the winter.

My next Aldi trip will include an industrial quantity of crumble toppings.

I have been playing with dried slices on my apple thread, and after a couple of trials the oven has not really really worked and seems extravagant at 20 hours for a coupe of score of apple chips. Though we are getting to the time of year when the heat will be useful. So it will mainly be air dried for 72 hours.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1046577/ideas-for-eater-apples

Or I have just picked up a dehydrator at a nicely reduced price. Collect on Friday. The apples have been instructed to last until then.

Ferdinand
    “Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
  • Thanks all... If you see news reports of tone deaf singing in orchards, that'll be me following @purplerallim instructions  :D 

@Ferdinand2000 I've been reading your thread with interest, thank you. That variable success you've had is exactly why I'm far too lazy to do it myself! I'm interested to see how you get on with the dehydration.