Forum home The potting shed

My bargain from Lidls today 😁

PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 535
Been to do my weekly shop this morning at my local Lidls. In the door way as I was cleaning my trolley I noticed flat pack compost bins. They were big so I thought I will have a look on the way out to see if its suitable as I have been on the look out for a new bin as my other is quite full.

I had a look on my way out and could not see a price banner. Then I noticed little red tickets on them. Reduced to £10.  So I have bought one.

Oh I love a bargain 😁

• Some years ago one of our outdoor white grapes died a death. Tried to buy a replacement in nurseries to no affect. Happened to go to Liddls and there was one. It has been very productive and this year with all the mad weather condtions it has been the one that has produced the most harvest for the wine this year. Great buy.
  • ElmozElmoz Posts: 30
    Bargain @PurpleRose! I got one of these in spring for £23 for my first ever (lockdown induced) attempt at composting. If I'd seen any reduced in my Lidls I would have got another! My experience so far is that the air holes make it much easier for the material around the perimeter dry out very quickly. I've managed to take some more mature material from the middle and put in into a bin and turned it weekly over the past few weeks to speed it up. I think it's nearly ready to spread on the borders!
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 535
    It's amazing what you find when you stop looking for things isn't it @bertrand-mabel I was kind of the same with compost bins. I had been looking on market place on Facebook for a second hand one and there were very few coming up and the ones that did were on the expensive side (I would not have been far off buying new with the prices being asked).

@Gaijin there are quite a few very good composting threads on here and some people who are very knowledgeable about composting. I have learnt quite a lot by reading through them. Composting is something I started when I had a bin given a couple of years ago. It started off quite half hearted and made mistakes along the way bug as I have built up knowledge on the subject I have got quite addicted to it. 
  • david25:17david25:17 Posts: 20
    edited September 2020
    I have to be careful which side of the building I approach from when I go to Aldi! If I go across the front, past the plants section then I will double my spend! Last week I just decided we needed two clematis and a jasmine. No idea why. Gave one clematis to the neighbours and now trying to find a spot for the other and the jasmine! 

I'd like to have a go at composting, just finding space for the different stage bins. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,573
    I find just the thing in the middle, but only after I've bought it elsewhere at twice the price.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3 the same here, went to Homebase got paint brushes and small rollers, actually it was Aldi this time, usual it's Lidl, they had packs MUCH cheaper, got one of those as well, always come in handy
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,007
    Of course the old aphorism applies...it's only a bargain if you really need it. The world has enough stuff as it is. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 535
    @david25:17 I am the same as you with adding a plant or 5 to the trolley. I have learnt that if I look down as I walk through and no side glances I am ok but then I have to walk out again and that is sometimes where the plants dont just catch my eye but shout at me 😂😂

I had been on the look out for another bin @amancalledgeorge I had been looking on Facebook marketplace, local selling sites and free cycle. I had seen plenty when I was not on the look out but as soon as I decided I needed one, could I find one? No 😟 so I was delighted that the bargain went my way.