Forum home Tools and techniques

Used compost question

cazsophieq2019cazsophieq2019 Carrickfergus, Antrim Posts: 149
Hi again now in the process of emptying pots of spent veg and fruit plants and have read that I can put resulting spent compost into my compost bin.  

So my question:. Is used compost considered as nitrogen green or carbon brown?

My instinct is telling me carbon but I just want to make sure.

Thanks again

Carol

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,657
    You're probably right, but it doesn't need composting. You can spread it straight on the beds/borders as a mulch/soil improver.
  • cazsophieq2019cazsophieq2019 Carrickfergus, Antrim Posts: 149
    Aah ok @JennyJ good to know 🙂
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,786
    When money was tight, I would dump all the pots into a large plastic tote and pull out all the rootballs without shaking them out for composting or putting on the garden, then mix the used soil with a fresh bag of compost and some slow release fertilizer pellets.  I then used this mix for the winter display of pots.  Any extra I put back into the compost bag to save for topping up, etc.  It was usually fairly equal, the new bag of compost replaced what was taken out around the rootballs for about a 50% new and 50% used.  I've also saved old compost for the bottom half of larger pots, again mixed with some slow release pellets.  Fresh compost goes in the top half around the plants.  
    Utah, USA.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,924
    I still do that @Blue Onion :)
    It's particularly good for filling pots for bulbs, when you don't need a load of rich material for them.
    I also use it for any seed sowing at this time of year. New, fresh multi purpose is too rich, and it saves buying seed compost. 
    I mostly use it on borders though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....