Forum home Plants

Brown/dead rosemary branches

Hey, does anyone know why i'm getting all these brown/dead branches on my rosemary?  I have had it for a year and it has been doing well in the ground. At the time i planted two but the other died off during the winter.  I thought maybe it got too wet however this one has also in recent weeks  been going brown too in places. We haven't  had a lot of rain for a while in the south west uk and i only water it once in a while so don't see how it could be over watering. 

• B3B3 Posts: 16,609
    Maybe you haven't watered it enough. Mature plants can tolerate the drought much better than newly planted ones that need to get an established root system.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Give it some water, cut off the obviously dead branches and pinch out the tops.  It also looks extremely pale ( could be the photo ? ) so a feed may not go amiss.
    If you don't use it much, it can tend to get a bit straggly.
    Thanks for  the response, what kind of feed would you recommend? 
  • B3 said:
    Maybe you haven't watered it enough. Mature plants can tolerate the drought much better than newly planted ones that need to get an established root system.
    Ok will do, thanks. 
  • Put the whole pot in a bucket of water and leave it to soak for a couple of hours. My rosemary has been looking like yours for the last couple of years but mine is dying of old age at 18 years old. I have a new one grown from a cutting but still haven't plucked up the courage to dig  up the old plant yet. Grown from a cutting brought from my previous garden.