Forum home Problem solving

Acer Plant Struggling?

13»

• SweetbubblesSweetbubbles Posts: 62
    edited 11 September
    I have learned that Acers prefer a cooler spot with dappled shade and not out in full sunshine. Brick walls heat up in the sunshine and not suitable for acer trees. It needs the space around it.  
    I missed a couple of days of watering and the leaves curled and turned crispy brown. I discovered that one watering can is not enough and make sure it is thoroughly watered daily throughout the warmer season and less in the winter (they can still dry out). Rain water does not fill the pots with enough water. 
    I did give my acer one last feed a week ago.
    Have you noticed any tiny buds on the tips?  If there is, there is hope! They will produce them now but will be shedding the main leaves during the autumn time.

Garden as though you will live forever
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    I'm sorry - but that particular plant has had no foliage to speak of for almost a year.
    Lost cause. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SweetbubblesSweetbubbles Posts: 62
    edited 11 September
    Lynn142 said:
    Thanks Joy for the advice & I will try the trimming you suggested but if it doesn’t recover (🤞), then I will keep a check on another in Tesco. 

Lynn, it does look like it has given up.  When my acer suffered from lack of water and ended up with dried up leaves throughout the summer, I did not trim the branches but left it as it was. Not a pretty sight!   Later the tips produced many tiny buds ready for next spring.  I'm just wondering if pruning, trimming away dead leaves may have stopped it from producting those buds too.  Good luck on your next one. :)
    Garden as though you will live forever
  • Lynn142Lynn142 Posts: 126
    Thanks Allotment Boy and I have come to the same conclusion that you can’t win them all no matter what you try!