Forum home Problem solving

Looking for large plant to put in patio pot

Hi everyone
I have three large concrete pots that I am looking to fill, but not sure what plant would thrive. The pots are on the patio, where it gets a lot of sun from early morning to early afternoon. It also feels the wind a fair bit if it's blowy out. I'd like something quite large to add structure. I'm based in South East Kent so very hot weather during summer, I need something that will take this heat and not die off. Any ideas welcome.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Phormiums. 
    It does depend on what you mean by 'large' though.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you, I have phormiums in one of my beds funny enough. 
    Large as in 3-5 ft tall, can offer shade. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,235
    When you say large, what size do you have in mind? Arbutus Unedo, Strawberry Tree should do well. There are compact versions. Polygala Myrtifolia, Sweet Pea Bush, can take a fair bit of wind and there are compact versions too.

If you only get light frost, take a look at Grevillea Rosmarinifolia and Callistemons. 
  • Thank you. I like the Strawberry Tree. That's the sort of thing I'd be after. By large, up to 5ft tall. Perhaps more tree like than a compact bush. I'd like to create some height to provide a bit of shade.

• Ok thanks, I'd want it not as wide as it is tall, so branching out about 3ft? 
    Thank you everyone so far ☺️

• CamelliadCamelliad Posts: 229
    How about a melianthus major? Loves sun. I have one in a pot after seeing it grow at a friend's house. Was enormous with lovely leaf colour and shape.
  • CamelliadCamelliad Posts: 229
    Ah apologies, I've just seen you'd prefer something more tree like in shape. The melianthus is definitely a bush!
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 4,023
    5ft tall with a canopy of 3ft will provide some shade at ground level, for other plants, say, but won’t provide any overhead shade for you in summer if that is what you are hoping to achieve? If so you might need to think about a pergola or large parasol too!

Arbutus Unedo a good evergreen choice, they can look a bit scrappy with spotty leaves though. I’ve never found them the neatest of trees. Is evergreen important? If not, your choices broaden considerably.