Forum home Problem solving

Is my heuchera Cherry Cola now 2 plants?

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,613
    Treeface said:
    Looks fab! I dug up a palace purple about a month ago and then sliced through the rootball in half with a bread knife. Like yours, it looked like it had 2 plants in it so I just cut between them. Both plants have both since flowered and doing well!

I do love them. They're perfect for my shaded little yard. I got a tiarella iron butterfly in early spring and it's still flowering. It gets about an hour of sun in the morning and is happy sitting in the shade for the rest of the day. 
    Fairygirl said:
    Well done  :)
    I'd take the three  the big leaves off too. It might have been better to leave a bit more root on it, but keep it well watered, in the shade, and it should be ok.
    Thank you!

I'll take off the other big leaves. I'll remember to keep more root on the next one. I might wait to see how this one does first. 😊
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,054
    They're pretty amenable, so I don't think you need to worry too much.
    I often pull tiny pieces off and just bung them in a pot. They take any old abuse  :D
    I have a little Tiarella 'Cygnet', and it's been in flower since about March.
    I deadhead as much as possible - they always produce new flowering stems. They suit our climate here. 
    Old photo - the phlox isn't there now - it's all Tiarella  ;)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

That's beautiful! @Fairygirl

I do gravitate towards plants that love shade so I'm quite happy with my yard at present. When we move I'll have to create a woodland area in the garden. I'm a tad obsessed with ferns, heucheras and epimedium! 

Our plan is to start house hunting next spring. Imagine all of my posts asking for help when I have a whole garden to play with!! 
    I now have three or four of those around the garden. It has nice central markings on the foliage, although you can't really see it in that pic. 

There'll be no stopping you with a new garden then. What will you do if it's all bright and permanently sunny?  :D

Fairygirl said:
    I now have three or four of those around the garden. It has nice central markings on the foliage, although you can't really see it in that pic. 

There'll be no stopping you with a new garden then. What will you do if it's all bright and permanently sunny?  :D
    I'm in Gateshead. It's never sunny for more than three consecutive days. Haha! 

The garden and its position will be right near the top of my list when we search so I'll make sure it suits. I'm too northern for baking sun (that's why I made my OH move from Berkshire; I only lasted four years in the summer heat). 
    I couldn't last five minutes in that heat. Too hot here for me when it's over about 17 degrees. 
    Us Scots aren't designed for sun and heat  ;)

Good luck to you when you start your search  :)

@Fairygirl my great grandparents were Scottish and I'm ginger and burn after five minutes in the spring sun! I understand haha! 

Thank you. 😊
    It's nae use for gingers!  :D 

@Fairygirl 5 days on. They've not keeled over so I'm hopeful. Would they have wilted by now if they were poorly? 

N.B. the big pot was the smallest one I had left!!