Forum home The potting shed

A chillie plant for colour in the conservatory corner

Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

I'm sorting out all the advise Iv had about chillies for next year and am looking to order them, while on the pc Kate saw a chillie bush type plant in a pot full of colourful chillies and not caring if they were usable suggested one for the conservatory for show ,she suggested one about 18"/24" in the corner. SO here's the question, has anyone done this before ? any advise on a colourful chillie for the conservatory would be good as( I'm a first timer with chillies) doesn't matter what type as long as its bush type and Colourful for the pot she has ready 24"x24" (chillie will sit in a proper pot inside ) Yes I can get some advise of the net but its never as impartial as here, Right ears opeing and many of em

AlanB

• steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,946
    My wife was presumably given a solanum pseudocapsicum as an indoor plant (Jerusalem Cherry or some such) that she must have put outside in a pot. It was growing out there merrily (South Coast - so mild winters) - but died a couple of years ago. Luckily, I'd grown a few on from the seeds and had given a couple to next door - who gave one back to me.
    Lovely in spring as the flowers are white with yellow centres, then in summer the flowers turn to bright green 'cherries' that  then turn orange.
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657
    Hi Steve ,I know the plant well and have about 10/12 in the garden pots and as you say very pretty in flower and its berries, I too grew all from a previous plant now 5 years old  (greenhouse over winter) this is a plant we will always keep growing  as it was a present from start and is so easy to propagate as well, many thanks Steve , Alan
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,579
    Super Chili looks good in a pot-
    The chillis pack quite a punch too!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,122
    Numex centennial or one of the similar varieties. I used to grow Filius blue outside, also very pretty (purple flowers, purple young chillies, ripening to red) but I think this one is smaller.
    I have a friend who has an enormous Carolina Reaper as a house plant.
  • I'm growing a couple of razzamatazz (?) plants in the greenhouse, thought I'd give them a try this year. They're a very attractive multi colored purple, yellow and red. They might suit?

Here's a link to the plant from the first link on google, I grew it from seed from Mr F I think:
    https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/online-shop/chilli-seeds/razzamatazz-chilli-seeds/
    Morning all, again many thanks for all the info, Iv already been talking to Mr Fothergills and following up all the others, Can I ask Pete what is that in the pic it looks very good for the patio or indoors maybe
    Hi Alan - it's called Super Chili  - widely available
    e.g.
    https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/chilli-pepper-super-chili-hot/905TM
    I do use the chillies, but mainly grow it as it looks good.
    I think there are 2 plants in the photo above

many thanks Pete, this is a HOT one, Alan
    Oh yes - not one for the faint-hearted :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,510

Here’s another multicoloured one ... Blue Christmas ... apparently often used as a Christmas Houseplant in the US due to its decorative appearance. I’m told they’re hot but not overly do, and very tasty ... I may try pickling some. 
    Our plants are about 1m tall. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh