Forum home The potting shed

Tennis elbow?

LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,845
I seem to have developed tennis elbow  :'( This is a self-diagnosis but all the symptoms fit perfectly - it looks like a classic case. It's really limiting me at the moment and I'm finding it quite depressing. I think it's mainly gardening-related, though I'm sure smartphone / tablet use is not helping. Anyone in the same boat? Any tips?
'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    I've had it for years. I used to wear one of these every day. A very simple velcro strap , Worked a treat. 
    https://www.physique.co.uk/Supports-Braces/Elbow-Supports/Mueller-Tennis-Elbow-Strap?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Mmr8-md6wIVCbDtCh3d5wl5EAQYASABEgJFFfD_BwE#fo_c=2689&fo_k=26e8bf894a92bcb1c9fd303fd311ac00&fo_s=gplauk&fo_oid=9737
    Mercifully, it seems to have gone away now. 
    Shop around. I never paid as much as this. 
    Devon.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,845
    Interesting. Thanks Hosta. Was your pain where the strap is located, or in the elbow joint itself? I'm going to give one of these a try - am getting a bit desperate, so I really hope it works. 
    - Cicero
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    elbow joint, but you just pull it to apply slight pressure. I reckon it was years of working as a gardener and using secateurs all day every day.
    there are some with hard bits and fold over straps and all sorts of nonsense. That simple velcro strap worked for me. I used to just wear it all the time: it was part of getting dressed. Prevention being better than cure.
    Devon.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454
    It works by changing the angle at which the tendon bends. I got the tip from a physiotherapist. I use an old belt as it seems to only need a few days of wearing it for the pain to go. You position the strap about an inch above( two fingers) above the pain.
    If you have Golfer's elbow the same thing works but then you put the strap below the pain.
    Good, thanks. I think a lot of recent use of a pruning saw, emptying a bulk bag of a tonne of compost (and not being much taller than the bag, so a difficult angle), lots of loppering and endless drawing of circles for a planting design course has done it for me. Fed up though - it's not as though I'm a full time gardener :-(. Have ordered a strap and a supply of optimism to go with it (actually, a kettle).
    - Cicero
    Thanks Palustris, I am feeling very hopeful now!
    - Cicero
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,541
    I have also suffered from it, I think due to over gardening, it took a long time to clear up, using a support like @Hostafan1 mentions.
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
    Yes, this feels like it'll be with me for a long time. Tbh I've had the pains for months, but it was intermittent / mild. It's only recently that it's got bad enough to actually stop me doing stuff and disturb my sleep. 
    It's interesting - everything I looked up about it suggested rest, painkillers / anti-inflammatories, injections and then surgery, but nothing about these supports. And yet three out of three responses on here say supports.
    - Cicero
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,541
    I would avoid surgery at all costs. I discussed it with a colleague and asked my usual question, " would you have it done, if it were you"? Probably not, was the reply.
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454
    I had the rest, painkillers, steroid injection, physio thing. No surgery offered, but would have turned it down. The strap works, but the problem will return. And being left handed so having to use my right hand as well I have it in both arms and Golfers elbow too. Just don't have the strap too tight or you could lose an arm!