Forum home Plants

Help identify a number of plants

IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 147
What are these and what do I need to do with them?

1. There are 2 things there and they’ve finished flowering? Do I cut them down now?

• IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 147
    3. And is this good ground cover until I get more plants?

4 And does this flower?

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 328
    Picture 1. Top plant is another Hypericum; I was always taught about 'Irishmans Cuttings', when a plant send out shoots which then root into available soil they can be cut off and new plants made.  Bottom of picture is a Euphorbia not sure which one but again its one that spreads. You can just pull up pieces and replant where you want them to grow. Pictures 2 and 3 I don't know although 2 looks like it has been on here recently.  Picture 4 is Epimedium, Cut the leaves back in late winter and flowers will appear and new leaves will grow next summer. Another plant to split and spread around the garden.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 950
    No.3 is sedum.  Perfect for groundcover, until you get something else to put in that spot.  You can easily pull it out, and stick those pieces in some soil, and they will grow into more plants.  It's similar to a variety I have called Dragons Blood.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,088
    Photo 2 is Erigeron Canadensis, Horseweed. Very weedy. 
    Thank you all.
    these are all plants I’ve inherited with the garden. first thing I’ll do is pull out the horse weed. I’ll spread the sedum around as I have areas to keep weed free. The epimedium is new to me, i looked it up and it’s also called horny goat weed, I’ve never noticed the flowers on it, possibly very small? 
    The other two especially the hypericum is a bit annoying as it doesn’t flower for long, I’m wondering if I can cut it back hard now or just to a few leaves.
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 328
    You will miss the flowers on the Epimedium if you don't cut the leaves off, very small delicate flowers will be below the level of the leaves. Colours from 'deep coral red through orange and yellow to pure white.' 
    Thanks @Loraine3 I might have pruned it at the wrong time this year. I’ll need to make a list of what’s in the garden and what to do with them.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,042
    When I was at college studying garden design, I once put H. calicynum on a planting plan. The lecturer circled it in red and wrote " nasty little plant " beside it. 
    Devon.
    Haha @Hostafan1 It’s not a favourite plant of mine either. Its only saving grace at the moment is it doesn’t need deadheading. I might allow it in certain patches and pull out or cut out those I don’t want. There’s too much of it and it doesn’t do much.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,880

Which sedum is this?