Forum home Problem solving

Soil improvement

any any tips on soil improvement, I have lifted up some paving stones in my backyard along the wall line in the hope of having a herbaceous border of sorts, but the soil looks very heavy with a layer of sand that has been used to level the paving slabs. So what the best thing to do to improve it. Any tip appreciated 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,680
    Cant beat manure or home made compost if you have any. If it's sharp gritty, sand I would dig it in as it helps drainage. 
  • Aww thanks, not see a single worm yet either, do you think it would benefit, how’d do you even get them is something worth getting somehow, remember at school making a wormery and we just collected them by pouring water onto the grass and waiting for them to rise up, or will they just turn up🤔
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,680
    We moved into a new build 3 years ago with the usual builders clay and stones soil. I improved the soil  and every year I put on a layer of manure, bagged stuff, in autumn. Began seeing some worms but this year I have seen so many,  no snails, and a few slugs. 
    They are there and will move into your inviting soil.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,539
    They will just turn up.. as you improve the soil.  You can double dig in well rotted manure.. or just pile it on top and let the worms work it in over the winter.  You can also trench compost your kitchen scraps every few days, and that works things into the soil.  Give yourself until next spring to have it sorted for planting.  A good job that will pay years of dividends in happy plants will take time.
    Utah, USA.
  • this this is great, yes hadn’t planned on planting it till the spring, but thought the soil would definitely need some work first to give them the best chance, all exciting and an enjoyable process, only ever had my pots before. This forum is great, had expected any replies so quick so thank you