Forum home Plants

Wisteria not flowering

When we moved in, we inherited a pergola with grapevines, wisteria and honeysuckle. The grapevines and the wisteria are on one side together.
The grapevine is a beast of a thing and always produces loads of grapes. The wisteria kind of hangs on to one edge of the woodwork and this year hasn't flowered at all. Could it be that the vines aren't helping?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,384
    There is a pruning regime for wisteria which encourages flowering - In July/August cut back all the long, whippy shoots to 7 leaf nodes.   In January/February - but not when it's freezing - cut these back to 2 then give it a generous dollop of slow release fertiliser such as pelleted chicken manure or blood, fish and bone for general health and a dollop of slow release rose or tomato feed for flowering energy.  Water thoroughly in dry spells.

This link should help - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=242 

I don't think the grapevine is a problem at all.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Trouble is the paving slabs through the middle of the pergola go over the roots of the plant (with a bit of cement to boot). I might try and chip some away and see how thick it is. They clearly planted it then built it round. I gave it a rough trim a couple of weeks back but will do more in Feb. Thanks
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,384
    Try pouring liquid feed down over the roots instead if that's easier but a good idea to let the roots breathe a bit more and get more rain water too.

I have inherited two quite mature specimens here that flower twice in late April and again in July and do it on very little water when we have droughts which seem to be increasingly frequent.  Both are planted up against walls but the ground in front is open tho compacted gravel over soil so they can absorb plenty of rain when there is any.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw