Forum home Problem solving

Cabbage Butterfly

Novice2020Novice2020 UKPosts: 30
edited July 2020 in Problem solving
It's taken some time to get delivery of a net system for my brassicas to stave off insects, and pigeons. 

Q1. Has anyone heard of using an equal mix of soda crystals with flour to kill cabbage caterpillars?

Q2. When the leaves of brassicas look well eaten is that it for the plant? Is it best to weed out that plant?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,220
    I just pick the caterpillars off ... it’s easier than trying to apply something to them. 

As long as the central growing point hasn’t been eaten away the plant will continue to grow. It may be set back a bit but it’ll recover. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Novice2020Novice2020 UKPosts: 30
    I just pick the caterpillars off ... it’s easier than trying to apply something to them. 

As long as the central growing point hasn’t been eaten away the plant will continue to grow. It may be set back a bit but it’ll recover. 
    But aren't the caterpillars the ones that burrow in from the roots?
    edited July 2020
    Nooo ... cabbage white butterflies lay little yellow eggs on the back of brassica leaves and they hatch into green caterpillars. 

Have your plants got another sort of problem?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Novice2020Novice2020 UKPosts: 30
    The yellow eggs being laid are the problem. Then I noticed the leaves being munched. Is that the caterpillar?
    edited July 2020
    That’s them. Pick them off and put them on the bird table, feed them to the hens, or do whatever you feel best.  

I try to brush the eggs off before they hatch. I check the back of the leaves most days at this time of year.