Forum home The potting shed

What plants do you not like, but grow for nostalgia or sentiment?

PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
I'm curious if anyone else does this! 😂😅

I have curry plant. It's not a herb I use at all in cooking, and I personally think it's a thug. But. My grandfather had a huge one, and the smell reminds me of him. So I grow it. (Now I know why his was so big). 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,969
    I grow gooseberries for my dad. He loved them, even to the extent of scoffing his grandads prize specimen. Sadly he has been dead 6 years, so they tend to go to anyone who wants them.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,960
    Petunias. My Dad loved them and grew them in anything he could find.I dont like them as they look awful after rain,but I always have a few tucked away.
    @pansyface I know that cloying smell so well,as we had a tall privet for years,unfortunately it caused me terrible Hayfever,😕 when I knew the cause it had to go.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    None. I'm not sentimental about plants. I only grow things I like.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,902
    I wouldn't plant anything I didn't like, but might leave something I was given by a family member who is no longer around.  Fortunately my mum was the gardener and our taste in plants was very similar.
  • B3B3 Posts: 16,620
    I'm the first one in my family that I'm aware of that has ever shown any interest in gardening but my mum has fond childhood memories  so I allow them to spread pretty much where they like but I like them too.
    I can totally relate to pansy's privet post but we had bomb sites rather than slag heaps and our local pervert was in Paddington Rec. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,272
    A Walnut tree.  It was given as a house warming gift by a family member.  The foliage is not attractive, it is becoming a monster, and it's roots will eventually push over a nearby wall.  If it hadn't been a gift from someone we love dearly, I would have ripped it out years ago and planted an Amelanchier.  Mind you, we are making some Nocino this year (walnut liquer) and Walnut wine, and pickled Walnuts....
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,388
    Like Pansyface I grow an inherited plant I don’t much like, in my case a forsythia. It’s a great spreading thing, variety Lebensraum I rather think. It’s big merit is that behind it and hidden from view I have our builder’s yard - piles of old bricks, roofing tiles, broken clay pots and general (just-in-case) detritus.
  • B3B3 Posts: 16,620
    I can't abide forsythia. I think I might find the view of the builder's yard slightly more appealing 😒
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 8,323
    I grew montana because I grew up with it. And roses.