Forum home Problem solving

Insect ID!

Violet\'sgardenViolet\'sgarden Belfast, Northern IrelandPosts: 12
Hi all, can anyone tell me if this insect is friend or foe?  I have one or two of them on different plants.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,368
    Sorry, but the beetle is too out of focus to ID.  Have a look through these, as only you know what it looks like at the moment:
    There are rather a lot to go through!
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Violet\'sgardenViolet\'sgarden Belfast, Northern IrelandPosts: 12
    Thank you very much for this website.  :-)   I found out that it was a common red soldier beetle.  I'll probably dream about bugs tonight, ugh!!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,368
    You're welcome - I came across that site several years ago and find it very good for IDs of all kinds.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    I'll probably be using it a lot in future as I'm a beginner in gardening!  :-) 
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,554
    Don't worry, it won't harm you or your plants! There are lots and lots of beetles and bugs carrying on their lives without any threat to you. Some of them are beautiful, some are fascinating and none of them need give you nightmares!
    Thank you.  :-)   I have to admit I did think they were pretty little insects!
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    edited July 2020
    Thank you.  :-)   I have to admit I did think they were pretty little insects!
    My sister used to call common red soldiers, bloodsuckers, just to add to my nightmares!

Totally misleading name, they do nothing of the sort, but I did not know that when I was six years old  :)

Another name for them is the Hogweed Bonking Beetle, I don't think I want to explore that one much further  :D
    Lol!  That would be right they were doing a lot of that yesterday!  😀  The latter name that is!  😁
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Soldier beetles are good pollinators, I usually have loads of them in the garden. 
    That's good, I have a few out in the garden.