Forum home The potting shed

Plant identification from picture

Hi there,
I'm hoping to plant a boder similar to this. I think I can identify most of the shorter plants in the front row, but I'm wondering if anyone can help identify the taller plants in the back?
Many thanks in advance

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,956
    Not really clear enough for ID, but the ones at the back are all shrubs, so you could get a similar effect by using the internet to find suitable red leaved & silver leaved shrubs of a size to suit your border and the same for green/golden leaved ones, maybe evergreen, that have qualities you like.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,155
    On the left is a Grisalinia with a phormium or cordyline in front, fern next to that then a euonymus.
    It's hard to tell as they blur but there does seem to be a variegated weigelia further along. Pink flower could be a phlox.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,576
    I think the one on the left is a Bay laurel (Laurus nobilis). The purple leaved one could be Physocarpus, but it's not really clear enough to be sure.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,155
    edited 28 June
    I see this photo comes from Homebase border on a roll so you could try getting in touch and asking what shrubs they include in their 90cm border packs.
    Also says it's an evergreen pack so it's not a weigelia.
    Does mention bay, acuba, escallonia, hebe and vibernum 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,576
    I've had a look and it does give a list of sorts, but not many seem to tie up with the picture - mind you l am half asleep. 
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/evergreen-border-collection-3m-x-90cm_p179212
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 912
    @norahpalmateer  If the dark brown plant is a Phsycocarpus, then they can get quite large (and will eventually become trees if left unpruned).  The darkest variety is Diabolo, which is a wonderful dark brown, but can become large.  If you don't have a big border, there is a dwarf variety called Little Devil, with exactly the same colouring.

The plant behind the brown one isn't a Pittosporum, but it would give you a similar look, and they are evergreen.  Wrinkled Blue has a nice glaucous foliage similar to the one in the photo.

• Thank you everyone, this is really helpful. Yeah, we don't have a huge border so aiming for fairly compact shurbs.
  • SueAtooSueAtoo Posts: 58
    Hm, the label wasn't very helpful was it. Griselinea can grow very big, I've had to get rid of 2 inherited in a narrowish bed. And a bay that is now a tree! Just do some research.
  • Mrs-R3Mrs-R3 Posts: 106
    Griselinea can be kept small - just keep pruning!