Forum home Tools and techniques

Niwaki coir twine or other brand?

Niwaki sell a nice big ball of coir twine and it looks massive. Is it worth the price? Or is there cheaper brands out there?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,284
    edited June 2020
    Well, without knowing how long it is and how much they charge I can’t really say?  😉 

.... and it’s seems that even they don’t know how long it is https://www.niwaki.com/store/coir-twine/

but it appears to be suitable for tieing up sweet peas and annoying brothers and for those purposes it’s probably worth it’s weight in gold. 

My pragmatic streak asks whether I have enough space in my shed for such a huge lump?  Then I ask myself how I will use it ... will I take it out of the shed and cart it own the garden in a wheelbarrow every time I want to tie in the sweet peas?  I could cut off a length and take it with me to the sweet peas, but Sod’s Law means the the length I cut off will either next too little, necessitating another journey to the shed and back, or too much, meaning that there’ll be a short length of string in my jeans pocket which won’t be found until I see it floating around in the Ecover suds in the washing machine. 

My guess is that the majority of these lumps of twine are sold to folk ‘dressing’ potting sheds for tv programmes or films about gardening or rural pursuits. 

However, if you have such a potting shed, a lot of sweet peas or an annoying younger brother, or if one of your children has one, I’d go ahead.  At least you ought to be able to find it when you’re looking for it ... 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 15,940
    I get mine in a pound shop - well I did back in the day😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I get mine in Asda - or at least, my daughter did. Mother's Day present. It should last a while. Brilliant stuff. Wouldn't have been anywhere near that price either!
    No idea what length it is, but it's about 6 inches height and four or five wide. 

The 'pond shops' already mentioned, and other cheapo places sell decent balls of string for very little money too. All good for general garden jobs. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,724
    Sounds so weird they sell it by weight...

I have one of these and will do me for the season ;) https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-250m-natural-jute-twine-biodegradable/p/0273926 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,189
    I buy one of those old fashioned ‘Rastafarian’ mop heads from the market for a couple of quid. I take the threads out, dunk them in a tub of used tea bags for a day to take away the whiteness (I know, I know - I’m far too precious) and then dry them and cut them in half. You then have a couple of years’ supply of perfect length, very soft tying-in string.
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
    BenCotto said:
    I buy one of those old fashioned ‘Rastafarian’ mop heads from the market for a couple of quid. I take the threads out, dunk them in a tub of used tea bags for a day to take away the whiteness (I know, I know - I’m far too precious) and then dry them and cut them in half. You then have a couple of years’ supply of perfect length, very soft tying-in string.
    The lazy gardener does not approve!
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,940
    Designer string. I'm sure the plants appreciate it. Do they grow better than the mophead ones?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,573
    That's a good idea @Ben Cotto. I must remember that one. I usually buy a year's supply of green twine (2-3 balls) at the Malvern RHS Spring Show. The price is quite competitive as there are lots of stall holders.
  • greenlovegreenlove Posts: 164
    Well, without knowing how long it is and how much they charge I can’t really say?  😉 

.... and it’s seems that even they don’t know how long it is https://www.niwaki.com/store/coir-twine/

but it appears to be suitable for tieing up sweet peas and annoying brothers and for those purposes it’s probably worth it’s weight in gold.

My guess is that the majority of these lumps of twine are sold to folk ‘dressing’ potting sheds for tv programmes or films about gardening or rural pursuits. 

You are spot on Dove. I saw good ol Monty using one of these lumps in his gardening TV programme.

Thankfully I dont have any younger brothers, potting shed or sweet peas. But i do have a lot of roses and other plants that require tieing up. :D

I thought it would be a more eco friendly method rather than using zip ties but it sounds like there's cheaper versions out there.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,707
    Designer garden twine, whatever next!  I'm with those who say to get it where it's cheapest.  After all it is a 'consumable' not something which needs to last for years.