Forum home Wildlife gardening

(very) Small pond help please!

FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 630
Hi all, 

I have bought one of these tubs to be a small wildlife pond.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QFKLSBO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

If its not too hot or too thundery I will probably try to get the hole dug over this weekend. 

Where I'm stuck is how to create a gentle slope for the frogs and birds etc. I have a kidney shaped planting basket that I will plant up and place on top of bricks so that the top surface is an inch or two below the water, I've got some chunks of broken up concrete, a few bricks, I have some small logs from a viburnum tinus that was chopped down during the heatwave, they're quite dry now. 

Any suggestions or ideas for making it accessible?

Thanks in advance! 

• bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 399
    I just piled up stones inside my mini pond to make a ramp, and similar on the outside 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    The planting basket will be sufficient for birds to gain access. You can always add a few small stones and rocks to the top, as @bookmonster says. You can also have an area next to the pond which is largely gravel/small/stones etc, and small birds will stand on that to reach the water to drink. You could even have a bit of liner of some kind [or just plastic] below that, to create a very shallow pool for small birds and insects to use.
    Frogs will jump in and out without a problem  :)
    I have a few branches which I sit on the ground too- with one end in the water, but it's only of benefit to insects really, and some of the small birds sit on them now and again. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,238
    How about a small log propped against the edge to form a ramp?
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 630
    Thanks all, good to know the steep sides aren’t a huge problem!  

Those who put logs in, do you do anything to them first or just au naturel?
    And what about marginal plants when there no margins!  My soil is acidic clay, any recommendations for plants that will be happy in the ground outside the pond and grow over the rim to soften the edge?
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,056
    I just use a small branch in the tub at the allotment and if it rots away it’s easy to replace. The bees balance on it to drink and they also cling to the exposed roots of the plant. Not seen birds use it but I imagine they do 
    Thanks, got no shortage of small branches! 
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,056
    The feature at the allotment is a feed tub filled with water a few oxygenators and a plant that’s more grass than anything tha has self seeded on the original plant, a small branch and a little solar fountain very basic but the bees adore it. The one in my garden is more decorative but probably of less use to the wildlife. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Loads of plants will be fine at the edges  - Caltha, Hostas, Ferns, Carexes etc. Heucheras as well - very useful for exactly that.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fab thank you, not a massive fan of ferns and hostas but will have a look at the others, do you think hardy geraniums would work?  Got a few spare!