Forum home Wildlife gardening

What's this bug on my climbing rose?

KatsaKatsa Peak District, UKPosts: 197
Have two of these on my climbing rose. Never seen it before. Should I encourage it to stay or find another plant?

• B3B3 Posts: 15,823
    I think it's a sawfly and you dont want to encourage it.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,154
    I think it’s a saw-fly ... I’d probably squidge it if I was precious about my roses. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• OmoriOmori The NorthPosts: 830
    It's currently making a long incision to lay its eggs, which will hatch and then do a very impressive job of decimating the leaves back to a bare framework. If its already laid the eggs I run something along them in the incision to smoosh them so they don't hatch. At least the bright orange bodies are easy to spot  :#
  • KatsaKatsa Peak District, UKPosts: 197
    edited June 2020
    Eep! I've tried to dig out all the eggs, but may have just killed the stem. ...

Managed to find one of the larvae under a leaf and did for that. Have checked other roses too and seen the dreaded vertical cut 😕, I've just cut the stems off. Hopefully caught the infestation in time 
  • OmoriOmori The NorthPosts: 830
    I don’t mind ‘pests’ in general, but I really can’t stand sawfly 😖 Something about them injecting their eggs in like that really turns my stomach. Established roses can cope and the canes that have been scarred generally still flower well but those big scars really look unsightly. I already have quite a few 😖